Good Idea for Lights in a Remote Barn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Sep 30, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Been trying to find a way to easily put lights in a remote sheep barn. Came up with a good way yesterday. I have some old solar walkway lights - the kind you can just put around a sidewalk without electricty. I cut a hole just larger than the lens in the metal roof and dropped the light through and caulked around the light. I cut about half the lens off to open up the bottom to full size and it lets much more light come through. The amount of light is amazing and since the light is yellow it doesn't attract bugs. Gives enough light to work by, to keep me from tripping and replenishes itself daily. I may put 5-6 of them in the roof before I am done.

2. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

Wow. That is a great suggestion. I think I will try this with my next barn and coop.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Never thought about it for the chicken coop - a couple would probably put out enough light to keep chickens laying all winter without having to have a timer. I'm for almost anything that requires no actions from me. The electric eye will turn it on as the daylight changes all year long. Daylight savings time won't affect it either.

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Holy moly that is a GREAT idea. Maybe you should "invent" a type that doesn't need a hole in the roof to work. I'd buy them...

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Way to go! I have some i use in my chicken coop, but they are white light and i am still moving them in and out daily which is not much of a problem. But am scheming a way to seperate the panel and batteries from the little light (act. hve it figured out but not time enough to do it yet) so the panels can be outside and the llittle lite inside!

6. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

:D :D :D What a great idea! My garden shed is dark inside, even on a sunny day. Gonna get me some light and one for the chickens, too.

7. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Great idea but you must not live in an area with lots of snow...Joan :haha:

8. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Here is one possibility for a solar powered shed light. A little pricier than a landscape light, but you don't need to cut a hole in the roof.

Solar LED Light - No hole required

9. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

would that be a bit too bright for a chicken coop, it says it is 300 lumens, or like the light of 300 candles. I see chickens wearing sunglasses... oh the visuals :cool:

10. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Hey this is cool, gonna get me some of those !!! For the barnyard and the inside of the barn.

11. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

I believe that a standard 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out about 800 - 900 lumens, so I don't think this would be that bright. It should be about perfect for a small chicken coop - say 8X8?

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I use 12 volt camper lamps in the worm sheds at my land on the mountain. All the lights are junctionboxed to a pair of jumper cables. When I go up there, I park my truck by the junction box, pop the hood , connect the cables and have lights in whichever shed I turn the switch to.

13. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I really need to get something like this because we need light to milk by now that it is dark when we milk. Currently I am using a lantern. HELP! These are out of stock. Is there anywhere else I could find it or something similar?

BlessedMom

14. reese

reese Well-Known Member

In our little hen house we have half the roof as those semi clear let light in roof pannels (like the tin but not), we have a solar patio light (the kind that you can screw onto your patio rail) that was like 12$ at Lowes up by the roof of the hen house so during the day it charges, but during the night it gives off a yellowyorange light, not too bright. No holes in the roof and yet still some light.

15. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

BlessedMom,
    I noticed solar shed lights in the Northern catalog we just received.

Try northerntool.com

Michelle