Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious about good what good homesteading books are out there. My favorite (actually the only one I have) is Back to Basics from Reader's Digest. I have probably read through the whole thing 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wildwood wilderness is a good book and so isThe humunure Handbook but

Carla Emery the Encyclepedia of Country Living is the best homesteading book there is

Jennifer

U

·
0 Posts
Has to be 'The Good Life' by Helen and Scott Nearing.
In fiction it haaaaaaaaaaassssssss to be Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun

·
Registered
21 Posts
'The Good Life' by Helen and Scott Nearing, and 'Payne Hollow' by Harlan Hubbard.
In fiction 'Growth of the Soil' by Knut Hamsun. :)

PS-I wish this site would remind me to log in first :eek:

PSS-I just looked up Back to Basics on Amazon. Everybody seems to love it! Thanks, Ariel. (I'm getting Carla's book next:))

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
The Have-More Plan by Ed and Carolyn Anderson and Five Acres and Independence by M. G. Kains. Storey's Basic Country Skills is another good one.

But I love my Countryside Mag, too!!! ;->

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I got The Encyclopedia of Country Living for my birthday last week. I don't think I'll need any more books! Country Living by David Larkin has pretty pictures!

My favorite magazines are Organic Gardening and Country Living. In fact, my house was built from a plan I found in Country Living.

·
Registered
468 Posts
"Living on an Acre", edited by Christine Woodside. I bought it based on a recommendation from this site. Very good book.

I'm currently reading "5 Acres and Independence". It is not as well written or structured, IMO. It is also much more dated.

"Back to Basics" is also a favorite of mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First thing this morning I jotted down all of your recommendations and headed off to the library. Can you believe that none of those books were in our city library except for the Foxfire series? I remember reading those books several years ago but I checked the first one out again. I will probably just have to start buying one here and there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts