Good fix for a stinky john?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ourfather, Oct 4, 2005.

1. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Get in a plumber to check for blockages. You might have a tree in the garden whose roots have begun to block the drain, or it might be some other object that has been flushed away unintentionally.

While you wait for the plumber, try tossing in some bicarbonate of soda, then pour in some boiling water. This may help unblock a minor obstruction. Also keep a container of bicarb in the toilet area - it helps to absorb odours. You can use it to clean the toilet, too, of course.

You could also speak to your doctor about this, if the plumber gives you the 'all clear'. Seriously, what goes in one end can seriously affect the odour of what comes out the other, and can often tell a doctor that 'something is wrong'.

Do you have adequate ventilation in the toilet? An exhaust fan might help.

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Could also be that the vent pipe is clogged with an insect nest or something.

4. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

You might need to replace the bolwax at the base of the toilet. If that's not completly sealed, it can let out smell and/or leak. If you have little boys, they might not be aiming to well. Check the wall behind the commode.

5. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

All the above are good ideas. You might also search the web for odor destroyer enzymes --- the sub flooring may be saturated with bacteria.

In the U.S. we have a product at grocery/hardware stores named RidX which promotes bacterial digestion if you are on a septic tank.

6. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Consider a small ozone generator. Ozone is supposed to even destroy anthrax. Odor in a small john should be no problem for it.

7. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

I'm with gilberte; when customers call and say they have a smell that they can't get rid of in the toilet we tell them to check the vent first. That is the thing that will cause the problem the most.

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Well is it really the toliet or is it the wood around the toliet? If its the toliet then you might have a blockage in the vent pipe. I have to clean mine out all the time due to bird nest. If its the wood there is little to do except replace the subfloor.

9. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

One more thing to consider. Most toilets have an area in the front bottom that is hollow. When remodeling my mother in laws bathroom we found it filled with a huge nest of carpenter ants! :grump: If the caulking around the base isn't tight you could have just about anything in there.

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

HOWEVER ozoone can give you cancer and asthma.....all those new fangled "air purifyers" are dangerous because of this. Consumer Reports has been rating the "purifyers" on this.

Also I have 3 boys (including DH) and they are so bad I have to replace the heater cover near the toilet. It is completley rusted. I also use a lot of enzymes in our toilet, to keep the bacteria levels good. Do they have that in Finland?

11. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Great replies. Also if the smell is of ammonia you might consider that someone in the family isn't able to assimilate protein or their PH is off. Just a thought. A drop or two of essential oils in the toilet water will make it smell wonderful. Tea tree, lemon, lavender oils.....that type of thing and they are anti-bacterial too.

12. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

My DD has 2 big dogs that drink from the toilet.
    On occasion they have drank the toilet DRY.
    With no water in the trap. the sewer gas was backing up into the room.

13. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

It sounds like you definitely have a problem with sewer gases entering your bathroom from the leaking wax ring. If you have a leak in that area(that you have noticed), the gases are coming into the room through that gap.

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if its sewer gas.... dont light a match.

15. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

is this the point in the thread where I mention something about the shtf. LOL

16. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

If your toilet bowl isn't filled full enough sewer gasses will escae from the trap. Whew