Good Evening, New, Excited to find you all

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickmomma57, Nov 13, 2004.

1. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Really excited to find a someplace we feel like we belong, we are homeschooling parents of two, self-employed, self-sufficient (trying anyway) feeling like we were the only ones enjoying living the simplier life. We just started trying to start hatching chicks, starting searching, and found y'all. We are not alone..... you have to understand we live in NJ in a very affluent county where we really don't fit. We stay here because of family and business obligations. I think this spot will be our refuge and escape. Thanks all!!!!

2. Timberline

Timberline Guest

Nice little nook on the web here, isn't it? I just found it myself.

I was born in Bergen county. ((shiver)))

I have to commend you. Never heard of anyone doing what you're doing in Jersey. Great job! I homeschooled my younger brother and sister through thier high school years. What a hand full! But great experience none the less.

Pleased to meet you.

3. chickmomma57

Thanks, we are in Morris County, scarry isn't it.... expensive too, but we are here and making the best of it.. Thanks for the welcome!

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Welcome to HT

One thing I've discovered here is that you can homestead anywhere. So, have at it, ignore the neighbors, and live life your own way! And come here for a bit of sanity now and then. Well, as long as you stay out of General Chat. You have to check your sanity at the door over there! :haha: :eek:

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

New too. On larger scale homesteading hiatus from 2000 to 2006 then get to start a new one when we return from England. In 1996 when we set up the last one MIL (househunting for us in Texas while we were still in Germany) wanted us to live in the fancy part of town. I got her to return to reality with the query "Mom do you think the people there would be distressed if I had a pickup truck full of horse manure sitting in the driveway for a day or two?" Bless her she admitted defeat and found us a lovely farmette. Wouldn't mind returning to it but probably go to Alabama in '06.

Having the why bother inertia on the garden and landscaping here at the military quarters- two more springs to go, can't give up already.

6. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Howdy and welcome.

7. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

You're going to love this place and probably get to know the others as your extended family, it's hard not to with all the good information, knowledge and caring you'll receive.

Welcome and get ready for a long pleasant stay. :D

8. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the board, you'll find lots of like-minded people here. Good luck with the chicks. Keep us posted.

9. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, you can homestead anywhere--even if you never have any land. If you hope to someday have land --Like Jenn, then it makes sense to learn the skills now like gardening and canning on a small scale. I read all these websites for years before we could move. And they all helped immeasurably.

I like the website Path to Freedom to inspire me about how they homestead on 1/5th of an acre city lot:

http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/index.shtml

10. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Welcome!! I have homesteaded in the city and in the wilderness and parts in between. I call it blooming where I am planted!! :) Keep coming back!!

11. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Welcome.... you're among friends here. Ask anything... I'm sure that someone has "been there & done that"

12. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Howdy, chickmomma57!
    What kind of chicks are you hatching? I'm thinking I'll get some Rhode Island Reds when I move to my land and a couple of others. Still researching to make the best of the little cash I'll have left over after setting up the business.

I like this one and the this other one: www.minifarmhomestead.com for trading thoughts with like-minded folks then I go to www.dirtdoctor.com for green alternatives to dealing with pest and weed controls.

TXlightningbug57 :yeeha:

13. Living Simply

Living Simply Active Member

Great site! What a wealth of information!

And welcome to the site! It has been a great source of comfort, support and information. As a single, homeschooling mom with 5 acres....I found my home!

Christine

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana! Yikes! and i thought i was nuts for trying to homestead on a mountain in the frozen part of the country! I know you can do the deed in New Jersy, all are right, just ignore the neighbors until they offer you so much money to sell that it becomes worth it! Kathleen

15. chickmomma57

Thanks to all for the heartfelt welcome. Yes, we are crazy for staying in New Jersey, the prices are just out of control. We plan on one day selling and moving closer to like minded people, but for now we are making the best of it. Our neighbors think we are crazy, but they all enjoy the veg's from our garden and the homemade jams and jellies. We offer them as a peace offering and it has worked out really well. We are now waiting for some red silkies to hatch. Have another 2 dozen assorted bantams going into the incubator this week. So we'll have eggs this spring to bless the neighborhood with. Thanks again to all!

16. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I live in suburban Philly on two acres of lawn. This is definitely not the country. Our neighbors are pretty nice and will tolerate some chickens and rabbits. I want to put about 60x200' in a mixed pasture to use for feed and compost and also to take out of lawn. We have a pretty large veggie garden. Want to put in some dwarf fruit trees where the chickens will roam. Based on my experience on my little farm in the west, I will be able to sell eggs and, possibly, some produce and/or flowers. I do have the beginniings of a small backyard nursery.

My only problem is finding the energy to do all this. It will be fairly easy to maintain once it is set up, but doing the fences, shelters, raised beds, etc. takes a lot of effort. I'm 70 and finding the ability for a lot of heavy work is diminishing. Sometimes, I just want to set and do needlepoint. The second girl is spending all her time working to pay for this place, and the third girl is busy with kindergarten.

How far away are you? I'm guessing the NW part of NJ, right? Do you have some land around you, or are you in my situation?

Anyway, welcome. A great group of people here, although I frequently find myself green with envy of those people with acreage and hills/mtns.

Best wishes in your endeavors,

Sandi

17. chickmomma57

Yep, your right NW Jersey. Sounds like we are in similar situations. I'm envious also of those with more land than us, but we do the best with what we have. We've been here for years, so we already have the raised beds, fencing, etc set up. But I understand what you mean about having the energy. Once you see the fruits of your labor, it makes it easier to get moving. Looking forward to the winter though, much needed rest and that's when I plan for the spring and I always hope to add too much, then about springtime, I come to my senses. Sometimes I think having more acreage would do me in. Well back to work.

Blessing on all you do!