good dual purpose breed.

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by cindyc, Dec 17, 2006.

1. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I just sent this, and it dissappeared. If this is a repeat, sorry. Original post is not showing up on the computer here.
    We want to get a cow-in-milk, and her calf for meat. What is a good breed to do that with? Family size... 7 people.
    We would like a breed that does well on grass most of the time if possible.

I know you guys probably get this quesion a lot, but I haven't yet figured out the search feature here... Hope you don't mind. :)

Cindyc.

2. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

Around my area, Shorthorns are a good dually breed. There's both a beef and dairy breed, but I'm pretty sure they're the same. :rolleyes:

Just my thoughts.

3. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

well, my thoughts are pound for pound you might consider the Dexter. Though they are a bit smaller you can keep 2 on the same pasture as 1 of most other breeds. And while 2 Dexters weigh in more than 1 of the larger breeds, there are also other benefits as well. If 7 in the household and some are younger/smaller kids they may find it less intimidating to handle a smaller animal. Also, better for the animal if there is more than one, as well as if you loose one, then you still have 1/2 of your investment, not so with a larger breed. Milking, yes less milk based on something like a Jersey, but having 2 Dexters should provide enough milk for your family. Or, you could stagger them and supply milk year round without a dry period, just less milk for a few months. On a Jersey or larger dairy breed, you still wind up with less beef than on a beef breed. So on an all around basis, I'd say a couple Dexters are a good bet.

Good luck on whatever you choose

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Honestly, most any breed can be a dual purpose breed. But for the beefyness of the animal, that makes the choice harder. If I wanted a dual purpose breed. I would seek out a hereford or angus/holstein cross. You wont get super amounts of milk, the calf if the cow was bred to an angus or hereford would be beefy. The cow would not have many problems, as baldies (as they call them here) dont have the troubles purebreds do (even though ive yet to have any troubles :p). As I said, though, most breeds can be dual purpose. If you breed a jersey to any beef breed, you will get a somewhat beefy calf. We had a purebred jersey, she was with a hereford bull. The calf she had was as beefy as any purebred hereford. The calf looked like a hereford as well.

Jeff

5. farmerdan

farmerdan Well-Known Member

Red Polls are good dual purpose cattle.

6. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Why not buy a holstien cow (older) and have her bred to a hereford bull (AI)? that would give you milk and meat from the offspring. They will easy to come by and cheap to buy.

7. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

8. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Dexters.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

9. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had good luck with milking shorthorns. They give a lot of milk and have a good calf. I am new to Dexters, but from what I have seen the little bull calves would make good beef. I think the amount of milk given by Dexters differs according to the line they come from.

10. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

A Jersey will give you all the milk you need, plus some for her calf. They tend to be quiet and easy to handle. I'd suggest you just breed her to a good AI Jersey and if you get a heifer, raise her and sell her to buy a beef feeder steer that you can fatten up and eat. If you get a Jersey bull, make him a steer,fatten him up and butcher him. Good eating. I'm no believer in dual purpose anything. It's like a dual purpose shotgun/fishing pole, ends up not doing either job well.

11. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

I agree with the Shorthorn a dual reg one would be great, AI her to a top 10 percent(IMF) Black Angus Bull and you will have a great beef. I like the sounds of the dexter but the sizes of the steaks is some what of a turn off to me. I am a Angus kind of guy.

Also look at a Murrey Grey, Hereford or a Red Angus, and just maybe go with a Milking short horn and IA to a Beef shorthorn. Black angus bull is the way I would go if it was my cattle :)

12. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

breed your jersey to angus, angus are known for small headed births, offspring will be GREAT dual purpose if a female( 2.5 gals a day off a first calf heifer) bull calf will be nice meaty but not too huge(jersey meat is very tastey we always eat our bulls, buy them as bobby calves raise them to breed our cows, and eat them usually before they reach 2-3 years old, very tender and gain better as bulls) a full blood jersey bull is bulky just short, bones are bigger than a beef

13. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

To be honest one Dexter may not provide enough milk for seven people and have enough to raise her calf to. But maybe a Jersey/Dexter cross would, then breed her to a beef type animal for your meat.

Carol

14. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

got almost 3 gal from angus jersey cross today 1.5 weeks into lactation( rainy and cold at that)