Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by whodunit, Aug 7, 2004.

1. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

We are considering getting a milk cow. This would be a miniature Jersey. She is on the large end of miniature, but still classified as a miniature.

She will be freshened for the first time in March or April.

The deal we are being offered and are considering is $500, plus they take the first three calves with them providing the bull service. All we would have to do is transport her to them about 12 miles away.

We currently purchase farm fresh milk from a family at $2.50, per gallon and use about two gallons a week ($5.00, a week, for about 50 weeks of the years for a total of $250, for the year). So, on our end, she pays for herself (minus food costs) in about 2 years.

We are told her mother gives about two gallons day, so if this one gives a gallon a day (to be conservative), we could use our two and sell the other five and make about $40, a month. Of course, there will be feed costs out of this. We are sure we have people in the area that would purchase from us.

We don't want a full-size milk cow, since the one that we get our milk from gives up to seven gallons a day and we don't eant to deal with that much milk!

Any imput, ideas, thoughts would be appreciated!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago there were guys that had dairy cows and bulls to loan to small farmers. If they loaned you a milk cow you had to let the calf suck the cow for 8 weeks and he came with his truck and took it for the rent on the cow for a year. He would loan you a young bull at no charge if you kept him for at least 8 weeks. The weight gain the bull made was his pay for use of the bull. When they got to large or cross he took them to auction and bought another young one.
    I know all this don't enter your plans but I had to wonder how long you had to keep the calf before giving it to him.
    A cow that gives five gallon a day will raise two calves and still have enough left over for your family. Just a thought.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would rather spend a little more, and really own the cow, with this plan you are tied into a 3 year commitment.

4. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I bought a beefmaster cow from an uncle. She had already been with the bull and we agreed to knock off 100 dollars and he could keep the calf. It turned out a bummer for both of us, he was hoping it would be a female and I really liked the looks of him. I thought about keeping him and letting my uncle have next years calf, but I don't like the idea of my cow working to raise someone else's calf. I guess I'm a little selfish that way. I'm just glad that the deal is through because now whatever she has is mine :D