good deal

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Vere My Sone, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

My jersey, which is my first dairy cow, will probably not be bred again by me, because she has such a large udder, she ran into lots of problems with cutting it up. I spent 3 months treating her udder and keeping the calf seperate. Don't want to repeat that.

Unless someone has some advice about how to prevent that from happening, I think I'm about ready to think about selling her, which is too bad, because she really is a wonderful cow. I'm so sorry this calf is a bull.

Anyway, I have someone who is going to drop off a small holstein/angus cross heifer at the beginning of Oct. She is due to calve at the end of oct with her first calf. She is friendly, but has been running in the pasture without any human interaction for the summer. He says I can try her and see how we get along. She if she will handle milking, etc. after calving. If everything is satisfactory, he wants 600.00 for her. I thought that was pretty good. What do you guys think?

He also is planning to ai his 2 jerseys to a jersey for their next calf. They were bred to an angus for this calf. He says I can have the first jersey heifer.
    Of course, those jersey/angus might be nice too.

So, I'm going to see how the holstein/angus works out before deciding to sell Norma. But, I still, at the moment, don't want to get rid of her. But thinking about all that udder treating..........

2. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

That's a good price; I paid $500 for my Ginger at 10 mos. old...3/4 Guernsey, 1/4 Angus...and bred her seven months later at around 800#.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Definitely a good price. That's a beef price for her, and there she is bred and almost ready to calve. Nice deal!

About Norma, you could run calves on her and keep her as a nurse cow, maybe? Then use the others for the house milk.

Jennifer

5. Vere My Sone

I'd love to keep her if there was a way to keep her teats from getting torn up

any suggestions?

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats an awfull price! I'm outraged! Give me his name and address and phone number and I will go right to his place and straighten him out ! ( tink checks his checkbook to make sure he has $650)

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Wish I could help you out but the only way we have found to help out our 16 year old Jersey with the saggy udder, is to keep her in a grassy pasture with NO brush, until she weans her calf/calves and we can dry her off. We are hoping to get a couple more calves out of her before she gets permenently retired. If we let her out in the brushy pastures......her teats get all cut up.

8. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

When you say "small" holstien/angus heifer and she is due end of Oct. in the same sentence that gives rise to concern. What breed is she bred to? If Angus or Jersey, she may birth ok. If she is bred to Holstien, I would not accept delivery as it could prove to be a disaster of a birthing experience.
    Should you decide to take delivery, I would do so asap, then spend time everyday getting her used to coming and going into your milking stall. Without pretraining and familiarization, an Angus cross may just kick the stuffins out of you.

As to your older cow, perhaps you could try fitting her udder with canvas udder bag used in showring circles during grazing portion of day? Anybody know if they will stay on a cow that is walking about a pasture?

9. farmerdan

farmerdan Well-Known Member

Years ago I had to buy a bag bra for one of my cows. It stayed on well and I only had to unsnap it to milk her. The only drawback was that her manure kept getting on the back of it so it needed to be taken off and washed frequently.

I can't remember where I ordered it from but it was made especially for large uddered cows.

Dan

10. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

11. Vere My Sone

yes, she is bred to an angus
    her mother is a small holstien from a canadian dairy
    so she's relatively small herself, being half angus

JulieLou42
    thanks for that link
    someone had suggested teat rings to me before, but I didn't know what they were and couldn't find any searching online

I think I'll get a pair of those and try them

hmm....then I'll have to come up with some excuse for keeping 2 cows, cause the deal with the husband is to sell one and keep one
    :)