Good deal on Pickup?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Jun 26, 2004.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi found a '94 Chev silveradio 1500 (I think that means 3/4 ton), 4WD, extended cab, 5 speed V-6, nice shape, seems to run and drive good, 185,000 miles $4000.00, Good deal?

2. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

A 1500/150 is a 1/2 ton.

This is a light duty truck.Also the V6 is(to me at least) a big turn-off.It would be the lightest engine available and is more suited to smaller trucks like the S-10

Mileage is high as well at 15000 miles/year.

Just my opinion.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats a deal to RUN from.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............That truck is just about wornout. 3/4 ton = 2500 series , 2500 HD is a 3/4 ton heavy duty with a 8800 gvw(gross vehicle weight). 3500 series = i Ton either single rear wheel or a Dually....Listen to j.dilley, he is telling you correctly.........fordy..... :eek: :)

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

IMO that price should be closer to $400 not $4000.

Edited to add: With the info you gave I checked this on kbb.com and for my zip private party value is $1500. Of course it could be more or less for your area but I am not too sure I would give even that amount for a near worn out truck.

6. Jacki

Jacki Well-Known Member

I got a 87 3/4 t chev PU for 1300. It has a 360, no 4wd, but runs well, has towing package, but was driven mostly as a long distance commuter by a contracter. I use it for hauling firewood etc. I would listen to those who USE these rigs. Especially if you don't do your own wrenching. It is hard to justify paying a mechanic when a truck is on its last legs.

Jacki

7. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

Well, it depends on where you're at. Down south here is AR, pickups are like gold! Resale values stay high, even on junk. Another thing to look at is rust, being from MN, I'm sure you're aware of that though.

8. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

I use the kelly Blue Book site to get a range of price for used trucks. The have retail (highest), owner to owner (mid) and trade in (lowest) By checking these three values you can get a pretty good idea of what you ought to pay.

http://www.kbb.com/

The price you mentioned seems a little high to me but thats just a guess. Condition matters most in older rigs. Has it been well kept up or rebuilt at all, or are you getting everything with 185,000 miles on it?

Good luck. I just bought a 97 1 ton (3500) GMC crew cab 4x4 diesel for $6500. Has 106,000 miles and I'm still in the process of shaking it down to see what is good and what is bad on it. Used rigs are always an adventure but who can afford new??

Got it off a park and sell lot from a construction company that was liquidating.

One place to check is banks for their repo's. They usually just want to get rid of them and aren't trying to make a profit over book value.

Eric

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Eric, thanks for the link, the data suggests a price of $4400, so looks like I'm in th ballpark here.

10. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

The price sounds about right. I've got a '94 Chevy 4x4, work truck package, V6, regular cab, 6ft bed. It's been a good truck, at 160,000 miles it still runs good. A farm truck, it's mainly been driven short trips, often loaded with hay, firewood, or tools. It has not been particularly well maintained. That Vortec V6 is a good strong motor- plenty of power for most tasks. We don't tow with it, except for empty hay wagons, as we feel that this truck is not meant for that, and we rarely overload it. I know of a couple of these V6's owned by friends that are over 200,000 mi. and still going strong. But, 185,000 miles is a lot of miles- have a trusted mechanic check it out well before you buy.

11. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

A couple years ago we got a '95 Chevy 3/4 T. Xcab, long bed, auto., biggest V8 for $5000. It was a company truck so well maintained just lots of miles. We had done lots of checking around and it was a good deal at the time. Have been very happy with it. It also replaced our former work truck '65!!!! We sold the '65 & a '91 1/2 T and they paid for the '95. We have had very good luck w/Chevy.

12. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

10 yea old v6 with 185k miles. NO thanks. Myabe with a v8 but not with a 6

13. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

for farm work get a longbed (8'), at least 3/4 ton, I6 (not V6) or 350CI or bigger V8.

if you wan't 4X4 get one with a solid front axle (D44 or better) and an NP205 or NP203 T-case

My buddy bought a '77 Ford F250 farm truck (came with hay in the bed)with 55K miles for $1,200. it has a 351M and a NP435 4spd (6.35:1 first gear), it barely ran when he got it, a new carb and a tune up later it runs like new. he put about $1,100 in it for new tires, wheels, carb, fixing heater, bed liner, and catch-up maintanice (brain fart) stuff from the last owners lack of.