Good deal for a Golden Retriever?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nuby, May 8, 2004.

1. nuby

nuby Active Member

$225 for a female pup without papers, but from registered parents which are good swimmers and great with kids. Said to be quality dogs. Looking for a family and farm animal protector and companion.

2. We have a Golden Retriever and he is a VERY affectionate and wonderful pet. He loves to swim in our pond and helps the catfish eat their food as it's tossed out to them. He is rather almost 'over-bearing' in his play, but I'm sure that it's because he wasn't trained correctly. It could be a little too much for small children. He's a very large Golden who loves to be with people.......a very wonderful pet, but definatley NOT a guard dog.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

if the parents are reg. why aren't the pups? that price sounds like the price for a papered dog. they should give you the papers to reg the pup otherwise it's a $50.00 dog.

4. The $225. price also seems high to me. Our Golden is not registered, therefore no papers. He was a freebie, only because he couldn't be registered due to a minor flaw--so minor that it isn't even noticable. Sometimes if the dogs can't be registered they're given away (or put to sleep). The breeders always have to make way for the new litter, so are only too glad to have 'left-overs' taken off their hands. Maybe you could check in to your local humane shelter. We practically got ours off the table to be put to sleep.

5. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

WOW, I think that is the price of a very good registered dog. I think its way too high for an unregistered dog.

BTW: I have two new pups. They are golden retriever, and terrier mutt mix. :) they will end up looking like the dad... born just 4 days ago, LOL never too early to start giving them away. Of course I insist whoever takes them to pay for their shots but that is a minimal price. I am in central Iowa so probably very few here that would be interested. I just have to try.

Da Bunny

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Hey..Nuby... You wouldn't happen to live within a 100 mile radius of Canton, Texas, would you??? LOL!! Man.. sounds like the same routine they pull out THERE with dogs!

I agree with the others. If you're gonna pay top dollar (or darn close to it) you should be getting papers.. AKC papers to be exact!!!

I've gotten so sick of these sort of breeders, I've decided to 'go it again' (as a breeder) and am focusing on Pekingese.... BUT... if you LOVE the dog and don't care.. great..... GET IT SPAYED OR NEUTERED!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO.. I wouldn't look to a Golden to be a guard or livestock dog. *shakes head* .. I've spent four (stupid?) years messing up, and loosing fowl until I settled on a Great Pyranese.

7. nuby

nuby Active Member

Hmmmm All the ads in the paper for AKC gr pups range from $350 to $500 for females. There is one ad where the price has been reduced to $300.

The one I mentioned; they had shots and said that they didn't get papers for the pups so they could keep the price down. Also, they said that they bought the parents registered because they wanted the quality, but when they looked into being able to register the pups these dogs would produce, it looked like too much trouble and cost. She says that she has the papers for both parents bloodlines to give me, but that I can't get the pup registered because they are not a registered kennel.

Thanks for your input! Maybe I should rethink this :confused:

8. Cygnet

Cygnet Guest

Wether or not it's a good deal depends on what you want.

I don't buy the "too much trouble" to get registered bit. Sounds fishy to me.

If you're looking for a gun dog and this is a dog with a minor flaw (like a white spot on the chest, or as a friend's dog had, a roman nose) that won't affect the dog as a working dog, probably a good buy. Good goldens from working lines are dang hard to find anymore. Most goldens you see are NOT from working lines.

If you're looking for a PET, keep looking. You can find a lot of puppies for a lot less. A golden is a lot of dog -- they're trainable, but they can also weigh over 100 pounds, and they're notorious for digging and chewing and being "mouthy", especially when they're pups. BADLY bred goldens can also have both serious health problems (hip dysplasia, cancer, elbow problems) and temperment problems. They're also simply very large -- do you really want to buy a couple fifty pound bags of dogfood every month and own a dog that's too big to fit in the cab of a small truck or which takes up the ENTIRE couch? And sheds enough, daily, to knit a sweater? (THey also have very greasy hair -- you'll find dirty spots on any wall they like to sleep against.)

Responsible breeders, BTW, will sometimes sell cull dogs without papers to prevent them from being bred to produce more registered culls. Ask to see the parent's papers. :)(Actually, ask to see the parent's papers anyway, to make sure the parents aren't brother and sister, if they came from the same place.)

Not saying don't get a golden, just don't buy one because they're "cute" ...

Leva

9. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Here in Vermont, the going price for a registered Golden is anywhere from 400 - 600. A non registered is around 300.
    German Shepherds go from 500 - 1000 :eek:
    So I dont think that price is bad at all, but it depends on where you live I guess.

10. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Depends. What kind of health guarantee is that including?

I wouldn't buy a golden at ANY price without a lifetime replacement (NOT return) guarantee on hips at a MINIMUM. Would want to see OFA hips and elbows, normal EKG on heart, normal thyroid panel, and parents at LEAST cleared of allergies.

Yankee Golden Retriever rescue charges about the same amount for an adult where you KNOW what problems you're getting.

Also, goldens should NOT be protective- they're retrievers, and should be friendly to EVERYONE. Anything else is atypical. Normal for dog, but not typical or correct for a golden.

Have several EXCELLENT golden folks I'd be happy to refer you to for more info, but... be careful? It's such a popular breed that there are more folks breeding to make a buck than folks doing things right.

Cait

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

run don't walk away from this "deal" its a problem the sellers are lazy and to cheap ,there cutting corners thats bad news ,it makes it worse on the quality breeders who do it right, it costs no more to get the papers because you get more for the animal. they are full of**it run run and keep running and don't look back.

12. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

If you're paying a decent amount for a dog, I'd expect some health guarantees (2 years, not a couple of days like some petshops do), & to see proof of parents' fitness for breeding. Are they OFA hips/elbows? Testing is done at 24 months or older. Dysplasia is expensive to fix (my 1st dog didn't have OFA parents - we spent $800 when he was 10 months old (20 years ago) to fix ONE side of his hip socket), & if you don't repair them, you can have a crippled dog. Also, Goldens are one of the breeds you want to check for eye problems - a yearly CERF certificate on the parents should be available. Are they good hunters? Obed. or conformation titled? Something besides "nice dog". There's lots of "nice dogs" out there - too many of them in shelters. Also, what's with this "too much trouble" to register nonsense? It costs $10 a pup, a few minutes of their time, & a stamp. Registered kennel??? They can be on limited registration if not breeding potential, but should be registered. Goldens are great family dogs (if you train them), but don't expect them to be guards.

13. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Go back and read Corgitails post. She is so right. A quality golden will come with these guarantees. I cannot emphasize looking into the allergy history of the parents enough. A quality golden will cost at least $500-$1000. Ads in the local paper are not from careful, caring breeders. They are backyard breeders who want to make money or gosh, aren't goldens handsome and nice dogs. These breeders are breeding health problems into the dogs. Goldens WILL NOT guard. If you want a cheap golden, go to the animal shelter and get a freebie because you'll need the money you saved for vet bills.

14. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

If you want a playmate for the kids and a watch dog checkout your local shelter. I've owed pedigreed dogs with wonderful lineage and gutter mutts who showed up starving and stayed for 12 years. There is a lot to be said for a dog which was raised right regardless of breed. Some people turn their noses up at mutts but hybred vigor is a serious consideration in animal performance. Ask a cattle breeder. You could probably pick up a Lab/Geman Shepard mix for $20, thats what mine cost. She is a wonderful protector but VERY lovable and gentle with the family. Goldens are great, but not guard dogs. They will chase off a cat, but a strange human is just a friend they haven't met yet.

15. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

OMG!!! It's the Canton Trades Days dog breeder ANTHEM!! And every OTHER breeder who refuses to abide by AKC standards!! I am SO SICK of hearing these words!!!

Okay.. here's the deal..

AKC... when a litter is born to papered parents.. you send in a litter registration form.. cost.. not a TENTH of what ONE PUP will bring in when sold! (I think $30.. been a while since I've done this)

NEXT.. AKC sends you the registration forms.. one for each pup... the breeder signs and gives those to the new owners (ALSO.. there is a simple BOX to check if the breeder does NOT want further breeding of this pup.. i.e. LIMITED REGISTRATION and usually means that animal is not meant to be bred and agreed by separate contract, spayed or neutered!)

THRID.....New owner sends in paperwork w/?? um... $30 to receive AKC registration of their dog.

Now.. let's see... hmm..... OH.. yeah.. the DNA excuse... (Now required of AKC studs.. defined by 7 or more litters in a lifetime). This is $40 .. ONE TIME...big whoop.

IN MY OPINON.. If a breeder is not willing to spend less than a $70 on his 'investment' and future earnings, (i.e. One litter will usually average $900 + and that is a MODEST figure!) is he/she honorable enough to be selling dogs??? !!!!!!!!!! It just shows lack of ?? well a lot of things. Makes me wonder.. hmm.. What ELSE is this breeder not willing to do???? (These are known as PUPPY MILLS!!)

NOW if some poor soul has gotten in on this as a next generation thing.. Well.. maybe.. when he got HIS pups there was no intention OR PERMISSION given to BREED??? That might explain the paper perdiciment, would it not? (i.e. having 'registered' parents, but unable to get papers on the pups.)

There have risen up in recent years some real winners for dog registries. So.. let's see.. the registry gets some money.. takes the 'breeder's' word for whatever dogs they have and all by mail and w/only a signature promise of 'good breeding practices'?? COME ON!! And therein lies the problem. You have second generation 'breeder's w/ AKC papers who were not supposed to breed; they do it anyway.. and now JOE Blow Fly BY NIght Registry will register YOUR puppies....!! (for a fee nearly the same as AKC) Grrrrrrrrrrr.

NOW all the Joe Blow Fly By Night Registry registered dogs are all breeding, being sold, NO care for the ins and outs of proper careful breeding.. just an eye to a buck.. and .. DO you SEE?????????? *shakes head*

Okay.. I could probably write a book and this may very well be my cause in life!! So, I'll shut up now and read the other posts. :eek:

16. MountainMama

MountainMama Well-Known Member

My golden retriever just turned one year old in February. He is wonderful for our family but wouldn't be a good dog for a guard dog. He will bark at everyone but if they pet him he will be their friend. Golden's tend to love EVERYONE that pays attention to them. They are also VERY affectionate which is not good if you have very small children. They want to be in your lap and forget that they weigh so much and are almost as tall as an adult when they stand up. I paid $350 for mine registered from a champion blood line. He is a great part of our family but we had to fence 2 acres for him. They like to run and RETRIEVE and he will retrieve anything he sees including rabbits, frogs, birds, etc....

Also my mother in laws clothes off her line. He is spoiled and now I wish I would have trained him better when he was a pup. I don't mind him jumping on me but it is annoying when we have company and he won't leave them alone.

GOOD LUCK!
    MountainMama