Good apple tree nursery?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mr. Green Jeans, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Well-Known Member

I am looking for these apple trees. Are there any other nurseries besides TyTy that carries them? Thanks.

Anna Apple Tree

Ein Shemer Apple Tree

Golden Dorsett Apple Tree

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

You might try Johnson Nursery http://www.johnsonnursery.com/Default.htm Dave's Garden Watchdog rating (Score: 97/100)

But, if you live in Kentucky, why are you interested in the super low chill hours requirement?

Pat

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I got Anna and G DOrsett at Lowes here in AL zone 8 (Dothan area) and Ein Shemer at a local nursery Buds n Blossoms. I think http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/ has A, GD, and Tropic SWeet which I haven't seen elsewhere for sale. How much ya wanna spend? Should I try to round them up (just saw I think all 3 in past week, though I got mine a few weeks earlier) and mail them to you from here? Or can you get them in whatever area (not KY!!) you need that low a chill factor for?

(BTW Lowes and BnB $8/ vs $27/ at JFE in FL)

5. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

For what it's worth - these are the apple trees offered by Seeds of Change:

Gravenstein : Ashmead's Kernal Apple Tree : Calville Blanc D'Hiver Apple Tree : Cox's Orange Pippin Apple Tree : Gernes Red Acre : Golden Russet Apple Tree : Newton Pippin Apple Tree : Northern Spy Apple Tree : Orleans Reinette : Pink Pearl Apple Tree : Roxbury Russet Apple Tree : Snow Apple (Fameuse) Tree : Spigold Apple Tree : Spitzenburg Apple Tree : Tydemans Late Orange : WaltanaApple Bare Root - Waltana

I've ordered several trees from them. They're quite reliable.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We get our trees from Jungs (in Wisconsin), St Lawrence (in New York), and Fedco (in Maine), and are happy with them. We use these 3 places, and are going to try a couple others, because they sell trees for colder climates. You don't really need the cold hardiness that we do, and might want to check some of the places on this list:
    http://www.nafex.org/supply_source.htm

NAFEX is a great group of folks interested in all kinds of fruit.

7. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought trees last year from Johnson's Nursery in north Georgia. They were very helpful. 19 of my 23 trees made it through their first Summer, and it was the deer, not the drought, that kill the four. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.johnsonnursery.com/

Best wishes.

8. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's another great nursery: www.burntridge.com - the trees that came last year were wonderful, their prices are great- $15. per tree, same rootstock for stanard trees as St. Lawrence. St Lawrence is great too- Just ordered today, Spitzenburg, Cox Orange Pippen, Liberty, Sweet 16, Golden Russet- a few more too. Check them out!

9. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I have ordered a lot from the place above lots of hard to find tree/plant varieties and good prices/quality