Good and bad of relo to Upstate New York??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by eb, Jan 14, 2004.

1. eb

eb Well-Known Member

Anyone care to share the good and bad of upstate NY? For a long time I had ruled out any moved from Mass to New York, prefering to consider places like Maine/Vermont and Virginia/W Virginia, but the prices of good sized farms in upstate NY seem pretty compelling....

Anyone here relocate from other places to upstate and have input?

Burlington was one area that had a few things for sale, and another spot further west towards the lakes...

How are the schools? taxes, employment outlook? etc.

How are the locals to "outsiders" that move in?

2. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

I am also interested in the same areas you are can you give me some info on where you have found your infomation
    Thanks,
    John

3. cando

cando Member

Why do you think people are moving out!!! The taxes are awful!!! The winter are cold and snowy and their just isn't any work!!! Snow might sound like fun but I spent two years in Rome/Utica New York. One snow storm, your hear the term lake effect, and got 64 inches of snow in eight hours. Sounds like fun until you have to shovel it. The Hudson Valley is a beautiful place to visit but I, for the life of me, don't know why someone would want to live there. Look hard and long before you move there.

4. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I'm in eastern upstate- Columbia county - far enough away that I don't get the lake effect snow. However, it's very expensive, the peroperty taxes are SO high, that I'll never be able to afford a house and land of my own here. Jobs are tricky things, unless you are willing to drive quite a ways, and it's awfully cold. I'll probably move again in a few years.

Cait

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

It's colder than well diggers shoes, and worse than that Hillary is your Senator. But coming from Mass. where you have Ted Kennedy you'd like her.

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I've lived in Upstate NY my whole life. I love it and can't imagine living anywhere else, but, the taxes are high. The snow usually isn't a big deal we get 3-4 large storms a winter with a foot or more of snow, and right now we're dealing with record cold. The temps aren't the norm tho. There's no way that we could have purchased this farm (log cabin, large very well maintained dairy barn, on a 113 acres) for what we paid for it in any of the New England states. Schools are good, and if you're a good neighbor you'll have good neighors for the most part. The employment outlook is varied from County to County.

I grew up in Broome County, moved to Steuben County, moved again to Oneida/Herkimer County, and I'm back in Broome County now. There are good and bad points to every part of the country.

Stacy in NY

7. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

NY is a big state and everything varies depending on where you are. Taxes are high compared to most southern and mid-western states, but services and schools tend to be very good. Of course, as federal taxes have gone down - local and state taxes will continue to go up. My property qualifies as a farm, so I do get a nice hefty tax break, but you must be running an agricultural business on your property and not a "hobby farm".

NY farm land can be as cold as zone 4 (the most affordable areas) to a balmy zone
    7 (around Long Island $$$$). I am in the southern Catskills within a comfortable zone 5 and beautiful 4 seasons.

By the way, Hillary has been doing a real nice job as senator for this state, much better than I expected considering who is running Washington at the moment.

One thing you might want to check out is that NY is in the process of trying to attract small farmers to the upstate area and are offering incentives. You might want to search around the net for NY state agricultural programs or contact NOFA (the Northeast Organic Farming Association) to see if you can get more details.

8. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

We moved from MA to upstate NY 2 years ago, and are perfectly happy here. We live outside the lake effect area, although we do get a lot of snow - not a big deal if you are used to Northern winters. Property taxes are cheap compared to MA, and the state's politics are pleasant and varied. Do it!

Sharon

9. eb

eb Well-Known Member

Yea, the taxes and winters are bad in Mass, especially in Western Mass area where I live now. I suspect the winters are about the same, and was hoping the taxes would be less(since I will be running a FT farm).

The prices of farms still seem reasonable in Upstate; couldn't buy places around here for what I could there; hoping to be able to sell my place, pay cash for another and still have a little left over to smooth out the bumps down the road.

Definitely don't want to go any colder than zone 5 though....

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

We moved to E. Syracuse from Texas about 17 years ago. We lasted less than a year. For us it was a nice place to visit relatives, but we sure didn't like living there.

The taxes have been adressed in other posts.

The schools may be great, but we homeschool and it is one of the worst states to live in as far as punitive regulations imposed on homeschoolers.

I am a midwife...the city where we lived in, homebirth midwives were few and far between because they were prosecuted and persecuted. Again, this may not be an issue for you, but if it is, consider it. Taken together with the homeschooling measures, it doesn't seem the best place to live regarding personal liberties.

We were accustomed to the culture of the South. We had a real problem with how cold it was. Not the temperature, that we could deal with, but we were unprepared for how hard it seemed to make friends. We did all the right things...got involved in church, civic associations, etc, and still felt like we left without making any real friends. We wondered if it was us...we were accustomed to a laid back acceptance...coming from the fourth largest city in the US we were not what one would call "hicks", but people just seemed more open and friendly than what we found in NY. It is probably more a regional difference than strictly a state difference, you may not find it any different from what you already know.