Gonna use some doors to make a cold frame

Discussion in 'Home Gardens, Market Gardens, and Commercial Crops' started by FarmboyBill, Feb 5, 2018.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

When it warms up. IF im right, I can start seeds, AND raise plants to a bigger size in a cold frame.
    For me living right on zones 6&7, when would be the right time to start tomato seeds in it
    When would be the right time to set out plants to grow up and also harden off in it?

2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Just make sure you have a way to open for ventilation and temp control in warm weather.

Forget just once....cooks everything.

I kinda gave up n it as i wasn't home to watch it....
    Took that big glass sliding door, laid it on the kids Radio Flyer Red Wagon....wheel them in and out of the garage....Depending on the weather.

tothelandcolorado likes this.

3. FarmboyBill

That's the good thing. Im home alla the time mostly

4. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Find a deep freeze and shower door that covers it
    Fill with dirt and plant.
    Take shower door off and close the freezer for when it gets cold.

5. FarmboyBill

Found that I have 3 doors, 2 sliding doors, and a shower door. I think I got the doors to make all 3 of them, and I can set them S of my LP tank. Havnt got a deepfreeze, and with the winds we have I doubt the door would either stay up OR ON very long.

6. FarmboyBill

Well, Ive got one, but I use it for its intended purpose.

7. FarmboyBill

cut the sides for 3 frames. and one front. Got wider doors for the backs to make them higher. Will likely cut them tomorrow. Still be 2 doors short to make the other 2 fronts. I may have to go back to the sale to see if I can get a couple more doors.

8. captain belly

captain belly Member

My in-laws gave me 2 sliding glass doors that I'm going to use. Still not sure about the design. I could do 2 separate ones, or one large cold-frame (house shaped). Does anyone recommend a certain depth?

9. FarmboyBill

A certain depth for what?
    Im putting in a foot of soil, and the top of that a foot below the outer top edge. That will give whatever plenty of room to grow before transplanting, OR harvesting inside the cold frame, like lettuce in winter. Use a Capt Belly, I was a Sgt Billy lol.