Gonna be busy this spring and summer!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HilltopDaisy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

We've done some hiring at work so there are new faces, and we're all just getting to know each other. I picked up 2 new egg customers, and had a third fella approach me about purchasing produce. I had hoped to really get serious about this in 2006, but it looks like I can "practice" this year. I'm not interested in starting a formal CSA, but I want to sell to coworkers. It will be cool to get a tiny bit of a start this year, maybe have one very happy customer, and let him tell other coworkers, so I can build enthusiasm for next year.

I'm excited, and just felt like sharing. Anyone have advice or words of wisdom? I plan on planting everything I would normally plant, but extra. Maybe I'll offer this man a copy of what I will have available, and find out if there are items that don't interest him at all (some don't like beets!). I think I'd charge the same as what he'd pay at a farmers market, and tell him approximate prices now. If I only grow what I'd eat, I can't get stuck if this didn't work out. I'll eat it anyway, you know?

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Wow. You have your hands full!! Have you ever tried the golden beets? Even folks who don't like beets like those...really sweet.

3. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) You have a gold mine.I did this and it turned into a great sale day,here is what and how i started.Go into the office where all the office people work and put up a very nice ad with color and what you are offering that week to be picked up on Friday after work in the parking lot.We sell a mix of what is in season same money for everyone and same product except when larger crops come in.A example is romain lettuce,butter head lettuce,spinish,snow peas,radishes,green onions,kale and mustard greens for 7.00 per bag.No weighing and everything they need for great salads on the weekends.This keeps working all season and price reflexs what we have from green beans to corn to pumkins and gourds.Try this i dont think you will be dissapointed.John at(The Good Earth Farm)

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

John, as you are already doing this, I'll pick your brain!

For someone just starting out, I wonder what sort of "paperwork" I'd need to keep this legal? My employer does not care if/what we sell as long as we are off the clock when doing so. Really no different than selling Avon, I wouldn't think :) ! I love the "$7 per bag", that's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I assume you harvest early in the day, wash what needs to be washed, chill, then deliver? I'd have a tough time with cooler space-only have the one fridge here, and this old trailer probably isn't wired for more than that. I was thinking I could bring the temp down in the fridge, then put in a couple ice chests for transport. Anyway, a million things to consider, so thanks for your help.

5. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) No problem,i would not worry about paper work it is a cash deal and unless you run a market or are quite large at a road side market dont sweat it.I work in the factory part of our company so wife takes care of getting the produce here right at quiting time as the have to be fresh.We have them Email us all week but no latter than 9:00 on Friday with there order.I ride to work with buddy and help wife get things ready as shop quits 30 min before office does.We run a road side stand and two farmers markets.So we know a few tricks such a have a big tub or sink full of water a frozen jugs of ice to cool that produce down quick,then place upright in a cooler with a jug of ice secured to one end or ice on bottom then a layer of newspaper then produce.Bag it up when you get thee just as they come across the parking lot they love to see you baging the produce dripping the water and you can tell them about next week and any specials you may have.Fresh turkrys in the fall,eggs or free range poultry.Good luck John