Golfcart for Granny - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by NCGirl, Nov 9, 2006.

1. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

My grandmother is 85 and I hate to admit it but her body is beginning to not keep up with her very active mind. Her Sister-in-Law has a golf cart to get around the stead with and she mentioned how she thought it was "neat". So I am considering getting her one for Christmas.

My only question is if it is a good idea to help her get around the farm or would she just end up killing herself on it!! She does not catch on to stuff as quickly as she once did. (who does?) She does still drive, but she has been doing that for 70 years so it comes as second nature. I am just afraid she would be trying to drive it around with her little dog and and wreck it and get seriously hurt & I would never be able to forgive myself. On the other hand it would give her the freedom to get about more which she loves to do.

Advice?

2. cheapskate

cheapskate Cheap but not free

The chance of an accident is something only you can judge by knowing her abilities.

As to whether she would enjoy a golf car, if she is capable of handling it, YES! I deal in used golf cars a little and 95% of the cars I sell are for use on the farm to get around on. People love them.

I have one on my place and my wife uses it everyday. I also had one for the kids when they were little. I feel they are much safer than go carts or atvs. All the years they were growing up they were never hurt, had a great time on it, and only broke the thing once. A golf car is very stable.

If she is able to drive, I vote to get her one. Gas models are more expensive to buy but less expensive to operate. Electric cars are cheaper to buy but more expensive too maintain. A set of six batteries will now cost you around 500 bucks and, with good use and maintainence, should last 5 years or more.

Also, a golf car is easier to get on and off of than an atv. They can also haul things around either on the seat beside you, in the rack behind you, on top of the roof, or in an available pickup bed option.

Good luck!! They're alot of fun.

3. William G

William G Active Member

if your grandmother can still drive then a golf cart is perfect. years ago we got an electric golf cart for her and she ended up doing a lot more things around the place.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

A mobility scooter might be more appropriate. In Australia, they are very popular with the elderly, because they enable them to do their own shopping and get around generally. They are built for stability and safety in mind, and they are easily operated by quite disabled people. They're smaller than a golf cart, besides, and easier to get into. Here, they are available for hire from various health-care organisations.

http://www.mobsol.com.au/c/6107/1/mobility-scooter.html

Why not take Grandmother for a test run to see how she goes before you spend your money?

5. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Try not to take this as a flame, but just something to think about.

If you have doubts that she might hurt herself in a golf cart, perhaps it is time to evaluate IF she can hurt herself and OTHERS in a car.

Some people at 85 are still very alert, but the age issue often makes their reaction time increase. It may not be time yet, but sometime in the not-to-distant future you may have to take away her driving privileges for the safety of others.

When my father seemed to be having problems driving, I decided that I was morally obligated to the rest of the world to disable his car. I finally had to "admit" that I did it and that it was no good for him to call a mechanic, as it was time for him to stop driving. It was the hardest thing I had to do in my life. I felt like I betrayed him, but I also felt that if he hurt/killed someone else, he wouldn't be able to live with himself, nor I with myself.

One of his friends had decided that on such and such a day he would stop driving. The week before that day, he was in an accident that was his fault. It caused brain damage to a 30-something woman who had children. I certainly didn't want that to happen to my dad.

Consider these things and if it fits, address it.
    Ann

6. fastbackpony

fastbackpony Well-Known Member

I think its a GREAT idea to get her one. I hope my kids have great kids some day - so i can have wonderful grandchildren.

the beauty of it is : she can go s . . . . l . . . . o . . . . .w . . . which will probably be just her speed - and she can still get out and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine etc.

its got to be better than sitting out in your lawn chair waiting for something more exciting to happen .

IMHO

7. fastbackpony

fastbackpony Well-Known Member

Another thought - you could always consider putting a govenor on it - to make sure she's not out being a leadfoot :)

hee hee

8. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I think her mind is still pretty sharp. She basically just drives to the grocery store and pharmacy now which is about a mile from her home. My mom and dad drive her if she is going further than that. I just question her learning something new.

The mobility scooter wouldn't work for what I am looking for, she needs something a little more rugged and with more stability to get around the farm. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone know what I am looking at spending for gas powered versus a battery golf cart?

9. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

...and I can't count the number of times I've seen one of those mobility scooters overturned, the ex-occupant laying beside it.

Mon

10. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Really? I've had one for years and only tipped it once. I was going up a ramp and lost power. Went backwards and ended up on my back.

Now I'd love a golf cart. I've wanted something like that for years.

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

In her age bracket, a golf cart would be really cool. If she has one, she may also be more willing to give up her driver's license.

12. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

mobility scooters on rough, uneven ground is a no-no. I have the exact one posted below, only with 3 wheels instead of 4 and it's just a bad thing to do unless you are on concrete.

Golf carts are great. I have one. It is a 19-eighty something EZ-Go. It is an old metal one. However, it can run over dogs that aren't fast enough to get out of the way (i.e., only stupid dogs, lol) and tear apart garage doors (my son proved that and paid for it! lol). It is slow, but with new batteries, it is reliable. The only negative is it is heavy and hard to push when it's battery runs out. I highly suggest a golf cart. I am sure I will still use it long after the mobility scooter is no longer usable and I can no longer throw my leg over the 4-wheeler. (I really love the 4-wheeler though! lol)

Woodsmokeinherhair!

13. cheapskate

cheapskate Cheap but not free

Electric cars at auctions can bring as little as $200....but then you buy batteries...another 500. Gas cars will bring 500 to 1750 for older ones but,if it runs when you buy it, all you buy is gasoline...and it'll run a LONG time on a couple of gallons of gas!

14. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I vote for electric. Quiet, fewer things to break. We have on in Missouri on our place, and we love it.

15. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My Mom had one too,pretty good range also,would go many miles.Electric.
    I want one now,they are great little in town vehicles.

Where I live the fastest speeds in town are 25 mph.

Yep,get her one,you are a GOOD grand daughter and right on target.
    Gramma will LOVE IT,I would bet on it.
    Bet she would also favor it over a car too,they are easier to drive and just plain enjoyable rides.

BooBoo

16. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We have two, a 1965 electric and a 1980 EZ-Go gas. Electric was from the dump, gas was junk and I got it going for about $20. Since we were too cheap to buy the recommended batteries for the electric, we got 3 cheap trolling motor batteries. DW uses it daily, it will go almost a week without a charge. I don't know if it would play a round of golf, but for hauling feed and hay and garbage and lumber around here, it works great. The gas is a little picky about running at times. If the electric is charged, step on the pedal and it goes.

17. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Ardie,

Yeah, I've seen quite a few of them belly up (more or less!) although I think most had three wheels.

Saddest thing I saw was a few weeks ago, four wheel mobility scooter one wheel hanging off the curb, the scooter tipped (high centered) but the person was still in it. Unfortunately it looked like they'd been carrying a couple large paper bags of groceries in their lap...there were the two split bags on the ground with a carton of broken eggs, leaking milk carton, head of lettuce, loaf of bread...and other groceries just laying there on the sidewalk. The person was trying to pick up the groceries and not turn the scooter on over. It was rush hour and no place I could pull over. By the time I found a place to park the truck and go back, someone had already assisted the person. Thakfully!

How frustrating that all must have been for the scooter user!

Mon...anyway, golf cart would be MUCH better!

18. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I will go for it and hope she is able to "work" it. If not, I will just keep it for myself I suppose.

19. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

If it gives your Grandmother a few years of enjoyment I say go for it.I bought my dad an electric chair and he loved it.It gave him back some independance.

20. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

GO for the golf cart. :dance: