Golf Carts Vs. ATV

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jan 23, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Premise: Vehicle used mostly for carrying 1 or 2 people and some tools.

Which is better Golf Cart or ATV.

Anyone have a golf cart they use? Pro's Con's?

Price wise I could get a golf cart for much less than an ATV. The tractor would be for the bigger work.

2. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

A friend of mine recently bought a golf cart and he also bought a kit which allowed him to switch to ATV wheels and tires. So he essentially has a 2 wheel drive ATV with a bench seat. I guess if you opted for the golf cart and lacked for traction or clearance you could always convert it.

3. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Golf carts work pretty well for getting around the place. I have 2 of them, one of which has 4 lug small alloy wheels on it with small car tires.

Bob

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say the terrain is the big factor here.If it's not too rough the cart will be ok.

5. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I would Opt for the ATV, you can get a Suzuki Ozark ATV at $3000, quite a good deal for a midsized ATV!

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I would go with the ATV without hesitation. Very versatile tool. If you need to haul a rider with you you shouldn't use it on a single person ATV for safety reasons. (one of those things nearly everyone does anyway though)

They do make 2 person ATVs now. Bombardier makes them.
    Their Traxter line:
    http://www.bombardier-atv.com/en-US/Vehicles/2005/Traxter/

Several companies also make side by side ATVs. Some are based on their big bore ATV models and are quite versatile.

Yamaha's Rhino is based on their grizzly 660 ATV and is the "sportiest" of the side by side machines. Just slopping over with grin inducing fun folks that have them say:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/12/sxs/36/318/0/yamaha_rhino_660_auto_4x4.aspx

Kawasaki makes their more utilitarian MULE models that aren't made for the really rugged terrain like the rhino is:http://www.kawasaki.com/

Polaris also makes side by sides. Their Ranger line is pretty popular:
    http://ranger.polarisindustries.com/ranger/Default.aspx

I acquired a golf cart once and ended up tearing it up in a matter of weeks here on the farm. Might be fine for running around manicured golf courses but they just don't cut it on the farm. For me anyway.

I'm going to be buying a new ATV here in the next few months. The front runners for my needs are The new Suzuki King Quad 700, the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and the Yamaha Grizzly 660. All are 4x4 with locking front differential. A must for muddy conditions.

An incredibly versatile tool around the homestead. Can even substitute for a light tractor at times. Good for snow plowing and all sorts of tasks that are just a little too small to drag the tractor out for or for areas that are simply too rough or hilly to safely operate a tractor.

7. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Best thing I ever bought for the farm was the golf cart Mine has tractor like wheels on the back and a small dump bed. Goes for ever on a gallon of gas it is so hande and we can talk in normal tones Doesn't seem to scare the wildlife and will go about anywhere.

8. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I should add that on steep terrain with a golf cart you'll have to keep the brakes adjusted and well maintained. They are heavy for their size, and my DD put one in the ditch by underestimating how much brake force it took to stop the beast on a downhill slope. They are built very rugged though, and despite her "accident" there were no injuries or damage.

The 2 golf carts I have, and the previous one I sold, all electric. The one I sold had a PV solar array roof for self-charging (which I removed before I sold), and the ones I have now are kept charged from a PV solar array. Zero fuel costs that way.

Before moving I had 5 of them given to me by a golf course that just wanted them hauled off. They had become old and the golf course just didn't want to bother with the higher maintenance requirements of older carts. I kept the best one and left the other 4 of them behind for the new owner when I sold the old place.

They can be found very cheap as well if you shop around. I paid $75 each for the pair I have now from a local auto junkyard. They aren't big or heavy enough to be worth much as scrap to the junkyards.

Both I bought only needed replacement of the batteries, cleaning of the battery cable ends, and tire maintenance.

Bob

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I had my first experience on a real 4x4 ATV in the jungles of Cozumel. Going full blast through heavily rutted trails about 6 ft. wide is exhilerating. So, the ATV is definitely more fun, more powerful, and faster. I REALLY wanted one. But for the money, you can't beat a golf cart. Cheapest decent used ATV I could find a few years ago was around $3,000. I bought a 3 year-old electric golf cart for $1250 on eBay. It handles my steep lake trail pretty good with just stock tires and wheels. Best investment I ever made, and you can outfit them to carry 4 adults comfortably. Can't do that on an ATV. I pull a small utility trailer with it, haul around tools, shovels, rakes, etc. And the grandkids LOVE to drive it.

10. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

When we lived in OK, we had a 3 wheel golf cart for our 20 acre place--it was great, as it would hold 4 poeple (2 small ones in the back), or me and several bags of feed. It used very little gas, and was very dependable. Now that we live in Ohio, a golf cart would never work, as the terrain here is very steep and hilly--I would roll that cart in an instant.

My dh had also taken an old riding lawn mower, removed the deck, and mounted a large trunk on the back. He somehow adjusted the clutch so it went pretty fast, put chains on the back tires, and that also made an excellent farm utility vehicle.

They make carts similar to golf carts that are a little heaver duty-they may be called "Get & Go's?" or something like that. I imagine they are pretty pricy though.

11. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Unless your property is super hilly go with the golf cart. Specifically get a gas powered cart with a lift kit and large tires. My Dad builds and sells these during the summer. We have used the same cart on our farm for about 5 years now. It gets a lot of rough use but hasn't given us any trouble yet. We run a small sprayer with it and you can carry up to 4 people on one.

Sylvar

12. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Love our EZGO dumptruck, golf cart. It'll haul: about 1/4 cord of wood, so much brush, you can barely see through it, tons of laundry, 2 dogs/2 adults/grand kid, feed sacks, drainage rock, manure, etc.
    lacyj

13. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

Here is my "monster golf cart"

[​IMG]

Electric, so it's completely quiet as I cruise the hills.

It doesn't do well going up our steep driveway when it is covered in ice. And in the winter, the range isn't much. But I would much rather have this than an ATV - or even a gas powered golf cart. I have thought of getting a second machine: probably something with 4wd and gas powered that could be a secondary rig in the summer and a primary rig in the winter.

14. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We enjoy our golf cart. It came with a bed in the back we can use for garden tools, hay, manure, etc. We paid under $2,000 for it and never had a problem. It does indeed run forever on a gallon of gas. We can always use it for golf too.

15. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the Land Pride Treker 10 Series .... anybody know anything about these? Honda 20 hp engine will be a big plus .....

16. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

Kubota has a product called an RTV which is like the Deere Mule But made better, 4x4 and has a dump bed. You can also purchase a cab encloser for them to be used in the winter also can get heat/air. We use ours all the time! Kids use it to get everywhere too. kinda $$$$ but well worth the money

17. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We got a 1965 electric 3 wheeler from the dump last year. New trolling motor batteries and a tire and some loving care got it going again. We use it every day for feeding and the garden and fun. Once hauled over 800 pounds of feed in bags to the feed room in one load.

Now we just got an E-Z-Go gas 4 wheeler in non running condition, real cheap. I got it going again and it is a blast. They are simple to work on, the parts seem cheap, cheaper than 4 wheeler parts. And now we can start customizing, like someone mentioned. We plan to lift it and get bigger tires for more clearance. By the time we get done, we will have about $500 in it total.

I'm not crazy enough to go some places I've been on the 4 wheeler, but I have seen lots of 2 wheel drive 4 wheelers go into and out of some really bad places. If you want to laugh, go to this site and look what some of these people do with their golf carts. You'll be amazed at some of the videos.

http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9

18. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

We have never been able to get a golf cart to live for any appreciable amount of time. The carts just don't last around the homestead. Keep coming back to an atv.

19. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Club car makes a golf cart called a carrier all Has a dump bed higher off the ground and all terain wheels. This vechile gets more use on the farm than anything else . Great for fencing hunting garden work cleaning out stalls and my wife fishes from it If it broke tomorrow I would go get a new.

20. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

John Deere makes a "Gator" that is six wheel drive. A buddy has one and just does everything and goes anywhere. I have an EzyGo cart gas that serves me well. I haul deer in and it hauls four people comfortably also. Real nice since I am getting older----and lazier. If you go for the Gator be ready to drop major FRNs. An old Jeep would probably serve any needs just as well. I just got an old Commando running well and it is a hoss. Now what to do with the old Wagoneer. Guess I can "mothball" it--just in case.