Golf Cart on The Farm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldmanriver, Aug 3, 2004.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

I just traded my fishing boat that i didn't use at all last year for a golf cart. I love it on the farm. It has tactor tires and it has been raised for higher groung clearence. It will go just about anywhere and it has a small dump bed. Real cheap to operate a tank of gas last about 2 weeks. Great to ride to the pond on carry feed, go to the mailbox or just let the grandkids have a ball. Hasanyone else tryed one?

2. BeaTX

BeaTX Member

Sounds a lot like a three wheeler we have out here. My Dad got it when we were kids, and it's not running now, but we're hoping to get it going. It's great for fencing and stuff because of the bed. Large enough to hold quite a bit. (put a litter of pups in it when we were kids and they all got really sick, so not real good for small animals.) ;)

~Bridgett

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We also have a golf cart and couldn't do without it. Our barn and garden are a ways from the house. We use it to harvest the vegies. Also use it for transfering goat milk from milk barn to the house for 2 goats. We get the mail with it also. It has a dump cart in the back for storage of tools and can also haul things back and forth around the farm. Don't know what we did without it before.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I have an electric one just plug it in once a week and silent running we go. I can actually sneal up on deer with it.

mikell

5. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

My electric monstor golf cart. Gets about ten times more use than the tractor.

[​IMG]

6. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

one time i heard about a guy who had an electric cart - he built a huge sun-shade roof on top and covered that with photoelectric panels - almost never had to plug it into the wall

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My next door neighbor loves her golf cart. Her husband rigged storage for her garden tools on it. My husband decided I could just use the riding lawnmower. He got me a cart for the back and I do like it.

8. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

We started off with a used one when we began building this place. When we got to the point we could afford a Gator we had planned to sell the golf cart. We found that we still used it too much to sell it. So now we have both. They come in so handy when you have acreage. Saves so many wasted trips for supplies etc. When the kids come up they just love them too!

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from the mountain top! I keep thinking about a golf cart also but am concerned that it would not be able to go up the hills we have. Any one have any experience with hill driving, like a 6 percent grade or so on dirt road?

10. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

The one I have (pictured above) does fine on our hills.

See www.javaranch.com/farm for pics to get an idea of how much hill we have.

11. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

We had one when we had our 20 acre place in OK. It was wonderful--so handy to run down to the barn, pond, or mailbox. Ours was a 3 wheeler, and you had to be careful cause if you took a turn too fast, it would start ti tip. We sold it when we moved back to the NE. It never would have worked here in these hills. If we ever go back to having animals again, I defenately will get another, but a four wheel, more sturdy one.

Another thing that worked well for us was an old riding lawnmower that my husband converted. He took off the mower deck, and bolted a large plastic trunk to the back. He also tweeked it a bit, and when you put it in 4th gear, that thing could really fly. It wasn;t as fun as the golfcart, but it was a little more stable.

Paul, your place is gorgeous! Makes me homesick for all my animals.

12. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

We have an electric EZ-Go that I bought on Ebay. It handles steep hills and rough terrain quite well, even with the stock tires and wheels. I agree about the quiet operation and sneeking up on deer. A favorite pasttime of ours. I'm about ready to order a Kerry seat for the back. It has a seat that flip-flops over into a utility bed.

13. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

"Kerry seat"....good one!

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

wish I had one of them things. say, carrying grain around would be a lot easier. I could sure use one.

15. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I ran an ad in the local paper looking for electric golf carts for parts. Picked up 3 for 100$ with a charger and batteries. Have 2 good ones but only one with good batteries. I want a gun mount so I can go after the deer like "Rat Patrol".

mikell

16. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

Yes! I do use an old riding mower w/o the mower attachment on it....and also a 2 wheel cart to ride around on. I have very bad legs & they hurt too much to get around so I use this old mower & I've been able to do a lot of things with it!! My uncle uses a Gator and loves it. But....a gold cart with a covered top would be nice too!! But...I really do like this mower the best & it doesn't matter if I get it a little dirty either!! :haha: I cannot afford much and I'm no mechanic so....this is all I have to use. I'm glad others use carts & such too!!

18. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

19. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Ok maybe I am crazy but now I am adding a wench to the front of the golf cart. We want to build a trail thur the woods added gun racks for deer hunting and a trailer hitch I love this thing I wanted a mule but this is my toy for now I leave it up to you great people to give her a name. :haha: