Golf Cart Batteries

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Most people that own battery golf carts don't realize that when they charge their golf cart for several hours then start riding it---then it dies in just a few minutes----its usually ONE battery that is bad ----not all of them--------Well I just got back from the recycle center(trash dump)--I opened the container that you put batteries in ---to put in one dead battery and there sits 6 Trojan T-605--so I got my battery load tester and started checking---Only one checks bad, the other 5--like brand new, not even weak at all. Great find for me---Like over $70 each new, used ones in my area go for $30 to 35 each. Now I can add them to my Solar Set-Up. You just can't beat FREE!!!
    Thought I would pass this on to you, you might find the same thing in your area!! Randy

2. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Fire-Man, You raise an important point about "one bad battery" in a system.

Many folks don't realize that 6-volt golf cart batteries are far superior to starting batteries, deep cycle, marine, RV or other batteries for most solar or other "storage" applications.

3. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

Oh cool. Thanks for the news!!!

Did you get them at the actual place that does the recycling or at the storage facility that you can take appliance, batteries, tires, etc. then they haul them to recycle??

I would love to find a few. We are going to be buying a travel trailer when we sell our house, to live in for a year while we continue to make improvements on our country house.

We want to do the solar system on the travel trailer.

Dee

4. Fire-Man

BillyGoat
    In my area we just graduated from the green box dumpster, now we have what is called recycle center------We carry our trash there and We put plastic's in a container, cardboard in one, etc, etc, and batteries go into a container about twice the size of a big cars trunk. Then these things are picked up from there and carried to where ever. We have these set-up in several locations around our county. I have three of these in different directions with in 15 minutes of me. I had never thought of people throwing away good batteries, so now I will keep checking these places and make sure I have my battery load tester. It would be aggrivating to check voltage and put 6 batteries in your truck, bring them home, then when you put them under a load---the voltage drops Bad---then Load them back up and carry them back to the place. So if you going to go battery hunting---U need some way to put the battery under a load---and read voltage then. A new load tester can be bought for around $50 here. But you have to also keep in mind that if a battery needs charging--the voltage will drop some too. If the voltage reads good and I put it under load and it drops a volt or two-------I would bring it home--charge it for a few minutes--then retest, but If I put it under a load and the battery voltage drops to zero or close------Leave it behind. Before I bought my load tester--I used a old trolling motor(fishing) to put the battery under a Load----Worked good, but I have 32---37 now, 6 volt golf cart batteries--trying to drag the trolling motor and water bucket(to put the trolling motor under a load) around to test them all was getting to be a head-ache-----so I spent the $50------there is alot of things that could be used as a load tester. Randy

5. Fire-Man

6. Fire-Man

I Bumped this------Because It happen again---------A few minutes ago---------Went to the recycle center(Dump) there were 6 golfcart batteries in the box------------ALL 6 checked GOOD-----------6 free batteries for my Solar--------I Am Happy!! Randy

7. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

Bump

My ofr the grid friend uses golf cart batteries for his solar bank, and I know if he found that many at our dump he would be overjoyed!!

Margie

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

9. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

We just moved here recently so I'm reaching for my phonebook to figure out where people around here take their batteries! Thank you for the tip! :)
    Congrats by the way!

10. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

with 36 batteries, how long and what loads can you handle b4 u need to recharge?

11. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Nice post. Thats why I come here. Learn something every day.
    Thanks

12. Fire-Man

I don't know about how long----See I am temporarly(?) set-up till I build my Cabin, which seems like I put off doing alot. I have 1500 watts of solar panels sitting about 100yards from the camper I live in right now. I have 3 small boat trailers with plywood flat tops that I keep 8 batteries on each one. I keep one trailer plugged up to the solar panels, have one plugged up to a 2500 watt inverter (next to camper)which gives me electricity for my water pump, TV, etc and a smaller window AC if I need to run it. My water pump will draw about 2000 watts on start up and about 1200 to 1400 watts while running. Then I have one trailer usually sitting there charged. I rotate these trailers about every 3 to 4 days with a golf cart. I use 3 trailers because I have the batteries, I only need 2. I use the Extra trailer ALOT like building something etc. I pull a battery trailer to where I am building a shed or what ever/where ever I need electric---I have a 1200 watt inverter to use for running a saw, electric chain saw or drill or whatever. If I will need a air compressor I drag out the BIG One---I have a 3500 watt inverter I use then. I never run out of solar power. When I rotate the trailer with weak batteries on it--to the solar panels---It(8 batteries) will be full charged that day if the sun shines all day. I would Guess if I had all of the trailers full charged----and Completely unhooked the panels---I am sure I could go 2 weeks or more on the batteries without changing my daily usage.

Keep in mind, at this time I have gas heat, gas water heater, gas fridge and gas stove, I wash my clothes at my on grid shop, but I know I have enough solar electric to run the washer off grid too. When I build my cabin, then the solar panels will be moved close to the cabin and the batteries in a Fixed box beside the cabin. I will use probably 8 batteries in the bank, but will have another 8 battery bank beside these where the solar panels can switch to them when the other 8 are full charged. If I need more charge on the batteries-------Then I will build a Tracker for the panels so they can follow the sun all day----This makes alot of difference, My first 4 panels(320 watts) are on a tracker and I got by with them ok before I got the other panels, but did run out of electricity alot if I had a few cloudy days.

I have 2 golf carts with 6 batteries in each one----and can charge them with the solar panels, but most of the time---I charge them on-grid(cheating--LOL) Randy

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

LOL.

Great set up you got.

Yep,golf cart will be on our list,my Mom had a little electric car,not a golf cart,but sorta looked like one,had headlights,running,brake lights,turn signals.Would do a good twenty miles on a charge.

BooBoo