Golden scallop? Should it be green?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by katydidagain, Sep 1, 2004.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I purchased seeds this year including white and gold scallop squash. The white is typical pattypan but the gold? Wow! What a a stange fruit! Elongated, bulbish and greenish whether large or small; think gourd shape. I grew everything far/corner hidden enough to save seeds and I know the 1st year shouldn't matter but what is this? Taste is fine but with enough butter any squash is okay. I'll inform them I don't think it's what they purported to be selling but should I save it anyway? What the heck is it?

katy

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I ordered some gold scalloped squash & they looked exactly like the white ones except they were gold. I didn't like them as much as the white ones though, the inside was hard,

3. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Katy, why do all the bad things happen to you? Were you born under a bad sign? No doubt, the company sold you the proper seeds. It's what happened afterwards which caused the yellow color to be masked. It's one of two things, cucumber mosaic virus or watermelon mosaic virus. Flip a coin as to which since they both affect yellow squash in an identical manner. It IS seedborne and could have come with the seeds although that would be unlikely if it were a reputable company. Any seed you save would also carry it. Yellow squash carry what is called a "precocious yellow gene" which causes that color to develop. CMV and WMV overcome the yellow gene and the fruit remains green.

Martin

4. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I don't think it's diseased; the plant is quite healthy. It's just not the right variety; fruits like chartruese light bulbs could never be mistaken for pattypan squash! I thought it might be the round de nice (sp) but the tag says different and it's not a ball shaped.

Martin, don't feel sorry for me. I don't have gardening woes; I have adventures! Without the unexpected I'd have bored of dirty fingernails 25 years ago!

katy

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Yep, now it sounds even more like one of the mosaic virus problems! Leaves may even appear normal since they don't always dry up and fall off like with tomatoes. Leaf color changes may be hardly noticeable. Read up on it via Ohioline, one of the best sites for gardening info.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3109.html

Martin

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Thanks Martin. We had the same problem. The leaves turned wierd shape and curly; also light yellow. We pulled them up and threw away.