Golden Guernsey Dairy Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Anybody heard of them or ever seen them? They are just beginning herds here in the U.S.

2. boren

boren Well-Known Member

3. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I know of one breeder in PA. If you send me a pm, I will share how to contact her.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

There is a breeder in WA too... However,, they are re-creating them, they will not be a true breed for a very long time.

Here is her info.,,

There are no purebreds available in the U.S. Nor are there British Guernseys (the British Goat Society version on ADGA's Americans). Otherwise, there are percentage animals of various percentages and ages available. There are as yet only about 2 breeders, myself and one other, who would possibly have doelings for sale in the Spring. I also have some older percentage does available. Please understand that all of these animal have been produced by the use of imported GG semen. USDA rules prohibit the importation of live animals or frozen embryos and have done so since the early 1950s, so percentage animals are all you are going to get. These can then be bred up by the use of AI and imported semen to eventually produce British Guernseys, as high as we in the U. S. are going to get. Also, these animals are very special. They are listed on the Rare Breeds Trust which is the equivalent of the Endangered Species list for domestic animals. Breeding them is not for amateurs nor is it for those who just want to show off a different breed of goat.. These animals (and the imported semen) can only be sold to dedicated breeders who are members of or are willing to join the British Goat Society and who will maintain the standards that our small group of breeders has set out. If you are still interest and think you might be able to fit into our program, please e-mail me again and I will give you more information about our goals, etc. as well as a price list for the animals I have for sale.
    Diane at Nanny Berry Farm dgray@televar.com

&
    hank you for your interest in the Guernsey goats... Let me give you a quick over all of what is being done in the US.....
    The term "Golden Guernsey" is used for the purebreds only. What we, in the US, are breeding are grade Guernseys.... or just Guernseys. Our program allows us to grade up, by use of purebred semen or sires... to British Status.... which is the same as our own American status. Our animals are being registered with the British Goat Society in England... Membership with the BGS is a requirement for purchase of Guernsey breeding stock. Overseas membership in the BGS runs £40.00 or approximately $80.00 a year, plus the one time cost of registering a prefix/herdname and earmarks/tattoos.

Golden Guernsey goats are quite new to the US, with the first being born from implanted embryos, about six years ago.... Therefore they are not very numerous at this time. There is a very small herd of purebred GGs in the US..... belonging to a multimillionaire..... from which we are able to purchase purebred bucks only... He will not sell females at all.... The bucks can be sold to BGS members, priced between $1000.00 to $5000.00 each. This is the basis of my herd... while others are based on imported semen.. There are only about three or four herds with registered grade Guernseys at this time... and we are only now having a few extras to help establish other breeders in the program.

Since there are so few breeders, with only the occasional female for sale.... the best way to start a breeding program is to use purebred sires on the bery best swiss breed females (Alpine, Oberhasli, Saanen, Sable, Toggenburg). This is what we have been doing... grading up each generation, until we eventually reach the top.... which is British Guernsey.. This will take a number of years yet... and unfortunately, there is no short cut...

I hope this information is of interest to you... If you have any other questions about the program, please feel free to ask..

Joan Stump usa*=
    STUMP HOLLOW ££
    BGS Guernsey Goats Ü\______|
    ADGA Alpines | | K
    stumphollow@rcn.com