golbal sun ovens a question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by logcabn, Jul 26, 2005.

1. logcabn

logcabn Well-Known Member

:confused: Hi we are looking into getting a global sun oven, I was just wanting to hear any comments you all have about it an if you found it a worth while investement over a homemade one. Thanks in advance.
    Jacinda

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

some talk abou them down in Cooking and Crafts forum,
    check down there.

Angie

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Is "global" a brand name or what?

Jim

4. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

5. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Good Mornin' Logcabn!
    So cool that you should post this this morning :goodjob: Ours just came in the mail yesterday. I was going to test it out this morning, but it's overcast and raining!! :sing: We sure do need the rain!! So my first meal is gonna have to wait. Hubby and I spent the last month debating on whether or not to build one or buy one. We made a list of pro's and con's and decided that it would be well worth the investment as it's supposed to last 20+ years. Same life span as a solar panel...........I think............ It's more light weight than anything that we could have built (other than cardboard), and that makes it much more portable too. Ours looks very well built and Global Sun Ovens have a great track record for making a superior product. Being used in over 124 countries was a great testimoney for us as well. If you take the price and divide it by 20 yrs. that'll tell you how much it will really cost you to use it!
    If you have anymore questions about this feel free to pm me or ask it here! We'll be happy to help!

Leanna
    :sing: in the rain!!!

6. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

I do believe I'd try making one. $210 after shipping seems kinda spendy for a couple pieces of metal, a small piece of glass, and a box.

Neat idea though. Hadn't seen a solar oven since Mr. Wizard was on TV. :)

7. #1 DogMom

If you go to their website you'll see what it's made out of and that it does consist of more than a couple pieces of metal and some wood! It's more than just a cheaply built "box cooker" and many years of research went into the design so that it can with stand the temps and the weather. But this is just MHO......................

Leanna

8. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi #1, The same thing happened with the weather when I got my sun oven but there will be plenty of sunny days! I am so happy with mine, it's well-made, closes up compactly and easy to put away for the next meal. Well worth the money I think. You are saving two ways....not heating up the house and not using fuel to cook. If the power goes out (and the sun is shining) no problem cooking for free. Rita in TN

9. Ariel

Ariel Active Member

I wonder if anyone has ever built a permanent type rather than a portable type. I would very much be interested in having their design plans. We love to cook out doors and are designing an outdoor kitchen.

10. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

11. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

12. #1 DogMom

Thanks so much Rita for the encouraging words! I look forward to cooking in our Solar Oven tomorrow, for sure! They say to start with something easy so I'll be doing a chicken! :) Can't wait!
    And Ariel, here's a website that we visited and found a nice one that could be of a more permanant type. Unless you're talking about building one(a solar oven) for inside your house. I've seen those too! :D Very cool...............
    Anyway here's the website...... http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/offthegrid/solaroven.shtml
    Have a super, super day!

Leanna

13. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Really like it! It doesn't get much over 300 even on hot, sunny days - we
    mostly use it to bake bread, it takes an hour or more at the lower temp.
    Great for things like beans that cook a long time at low temp. We do have
    a problem that the inside black paint is off-gassing or something - a bad,
    chemical smell after preheating. But it's getting better over time. It's nice
    not to heat the house up with the oven when it's over 100 outside...

Lisa