Going to work

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ruby, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be heading to Indiana tomorrow for a new (old) job. I will be delivering motor homes and box vans to the dealers over the United States, and Canada.

I used to do this back in the middle '90s. Then we moved back to Texas. Now I've been off work since '01, had back surgery then. Now I finished college in May and graduated with my name on the Deans list. Never found work doing what I trained for, so decided to go back to driving.

My husband who is disabled will stay here in Texas and hold down the fort and take care of our dogs and cat. Just everyone keep me in my prayers. Won't be easy out there alone, but I've done it before. When your 59-years-old not many people want someone that old and overweight to work in their front office. So I will do what I have to.

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

New adventures are good for an old soul! best of luck!!

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruby, Take Care and Happy driving.....I think a 59-year old big truck driver is pretty gutsy...you go girl.....Please do not give up on the other dream. Of those people that interviewed you, how many of them could even accomplish getting the truck in first gear.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Most of the successful drivers today are more mature people in their 2nd or 3rd career choice. I don't know much about trailer transport but I do drive a tractor trailer for a living. Is the pay worth it or would you be better off driving a big truck?

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Know how you feel when you finally become employed , Ruby . I've been looking for a year and still NO luck . Good luck with your new vocation , fordy... :eek: :)

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Enjoy the sites along the way,its a beautiful country we live in.Stay safe.
    BooBoo

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ruby; What company are you going to work for? I live about 50 miles south of Elkhart and Walkarusa. Had a neighbor who drove motor homes across the country and flew back to Indiana. Gettiing cheap flights helped the pocket book.
    There's a Company in Walkarusa that hires drivers with their own trucks to pull trailers for various trailer factories.
    Toot your horn when you get south of Rochester Ind.