Going To Give Pig Raising A Try ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Helena, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

After reading this months MENS about the beef problems..again..we thought perhaps we should make our little homestead more efficient for us. So...we thought with our limited amount of land..5 acres..a couple of pigs might just be the ticket. Thought of a beef cow, milking cow (to raise and sell), but really don't have the pasture for either one right now. Will be looking and reading up on the type of pigs and housing that we will need for our new adventure. But does anyone have a experiences..good or bad..that would help us along our way. We have a house where we use to have our bucks that we will use with an ouside pen area for them to get the fresh air and sun..realize that we will probably have to re-enforce the fencing. Any ideas or help on the type of pigs to get or other help would be appreciated !! Thanks !! (presently raise dairy goats and am thining of not selling the young bucks this year but putting them into the freezer as we have done in the past when the family was still with us, don't really get much $$ for them anyway at the auction and of course raising a few meat chickens with our layers too)

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

We decided to buy on the hoof this year instead of raising. You might have seen my pig loading post last week, and the deed is done now, so let me tell you what we learned:
    The bucket loading idea works, provided you have two strong men driving the tail end. Place a bucket over the pig's head and push her backward while someone steers with a leg and a tail.
    Rigging a rope harness to lead the pig to the trailer DOES NOT WORK. :haha: I'll expound on that concept only if directly asked.
    If we raised our own, we would build a raised shelter with a sided ramp up to the entrance. On loading day, we could back the truck or trailer up to the entrance, place the sided ramp from the entrance to the back of the vehicle, and entice the pig through it. At that point, she wouldn't be scared of the ramp.

3. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm looking for 5 feeder right now. I did too good a job last time.
    1st: Think electric fence. Even if you have regular fencing, you need the electric to keep the pigs from tearing up the regular fence.
    I fed my pigs on hot mash, a cooked mixture of cracked corn and whey with leftovers and excess veggies added. I will state that I will not feed any soybeans to any animal I'm going to eat. It ruins the flavor.
    Never turn your back on them . Set up your pen so you don't have to enter to feed and water. Pigs aren't mean but everything is food to them, including you. Don't forget that.

4. slkirky

slkirky Member

Helena,

GO for it, BUT make sure you do a few things first. I just learned the hard way :)

Pigs can tear through stuff you can not imagine... they are so strong, if they decide to GO no man can stop them... nor two or three quite likely!

Make sure you build a VERY strong pen for them before you bring them home... second lesson I learned :) Cattle panels will only work IF you have lots of posts AND attach them very securely... if a hog can get it's nose under it, it can GET under it.

Make sure in your initial pen construction that you have one or both of the following in place... a chute and ramp and/or a way to close them up into a SMALL space. If you have them in a small space, then there is no where for them to go but where you want them to go.

You can read about my loading fiasco on the pig page... but now that I am EATING the pig, I think I will do it again... just will be more prepared this next time and use what I learned from this time to avoid the problems I had recently.

WELL raised pork is wonderful.. goats milk, fresh veggies, table scraps, mud to roll in, room to run (playing 300 pound porkers are a sight to see!) and a stress free environment makes for great tasting, clean meat.

Stephanie