Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be flying to SC to visit our new ..soon to be born..3rd Great grandchild.. and am really paranoid. Driving the 14 hours..one way.. isn't an option... Any ideas ??

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Only 1 carry on bag and a purse, rest can be checked plane side if one, or regular luggage check (better check on the cost of that).

And I'll be watching the answers you get. I'm still in conversation with a place I have to fly to on Dec 2 and back 5th. To see if I drive or fly. And I like driving, but they don't want me to do that trip. A day and 1/2 to do it reasonably. So, I understand.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any ideas for alternatives to public transportation other than driving. You said it isn't an option to drive 14 hours one-way. Is it just the length of the drive that is the problem? If so, would it be possible to split up the trip over a couple of days and spend a night or two somewhere en route?

If I was in your situation, I wouldn't be too worried about flying right now so long as the trip would be made in the next couple of weeks. Beyond that, I'd buy a refundable ticket so I could back out if any type of crisis develops later. This is just my opinion, but I don't feel like it's that big of a risk right now to take public transportation, although that could change in the next couple of months. And you could take extra precautions if it made you feel better--disinfecting wipes, sitting away others, etc. For me, the fear wouldn't be catching ebola on a plane as much as being stranded somewhere far from home in a crisis possibly brought on by an outbreak.

Like I said, that's just my opinion. I have a feeling you're going to get at least one or more posts saying you shouldn't panic, flying is perfectly safe, no chance of getting ebola from public transportation, etc. I agree that there's little to worry about flying at least for the moment; but I think everyone should follow their own comfort level.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm flying next week. Here are some ideas that I'll be using.

1. Try to touch as little as possible. Definitely avoid touching people.
  2. I'll be using hand sanitizer a lot rather than washing in sinks.
  3. Avoid touching my face unless I have just cleaned hands with sanitizer.
  4. If possible, I won't use the restrooms on the planes.
  5. I'll carry my own food and snacks.
  6. I'll only be drinking bottled water.
  7. I considered wearing rubber gloves when moving from one gate to another. I'll take them but probably not use them.
  8. There will be two N95 masks in my carry on bag.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I flew just a couple of weeks ago and I added hand sanitizer to my little baggie of things I could take. I had it in my carry on. After going through security I put it in my purse and was able to use it. Some of the smaller planes allow carry on's but the carry on's are actually stored under the plane. So if you don't take it out you won't have it on the plane. A lady in front of me had some of those alcohol wipes and wiped her seat and area off. Wish I would have thought of that. Don't pull the magazine out of the pocket no matter how bored you are. This and the above suggestions, I think you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Quite a few million people fly every day here in the US.. How many have gotten Ebola today? or last week from flying?

You have a much better chance of catching a cold or the flu while grocery shopping..

Relax.. enjoy the flight..

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep..will do all of the above..thanks..Also thought of bringing a beach towel to put over the seat especailly the head rest area. Head lice etc..creeps me out. I have flown a lot over these many years and notice that planes are not kept clean like in the old days. Jink ust becoming the typical old lady I suppose. and yes..think more about be stranded away from home if a situation every happens when away from the homestead...

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
When using hand sanitizer, many have been found to be ineffective, particularly the foam type. Also, studies show that people tend to use not enough, and don't rub their hands together enough. Use plenty, and rub all over until dry.
ETA
http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Washing your hands is still the best way, and there is no reason you should need to touch anything in a public restroom. Use a clean paper towel to turn the water on, wash your hands, use clean towels to dry your hands, use a clean towel to turn the water off and use a clean towel to open the door when you leave. If it freaks you out that much, carry some exam gloves and use those. If there are only blower dryers, I open the door with my pinky because, I don't pick my nose with my pinky. :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'm flying next week. Here are some ideas that I'll be using.

1. Try to touch as little as possible. Definitely avoid touching people.
  2. I'll be using hand sanitizer a lot rather than washing in sinks.
  3. Avoid touching my face unless I have just cleaned hands with sanitizer.
  4. If possible, I won't use the restrooms on the planes.
  5. I'll carry my own food and snacks.
  6. I'll only be drinking bottled water.
  7. I considered wearing rubber gloves when moving from one gate to another. I'll take them but probably not use them.
  8. There will be two N95 masks in my carry on bag.
Lavatories on planes: worry about the ecoli rather than ebola. Ecoli is rampant on all parts of a lavatory. Nasty.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't use the plane batroooms...unless really...necessary..And do any other women "squat" over the toilet and of course the toilet paper on seat trick..I know at one time they didn't allow me to bring a small bottle of sanitizerr on the plane..?? Also...I will just hold my breath for the 2 flights..that should work...Right ??
:thumb:

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Don't use the plane batroooms...unless really...necessary..
And do any other women "squat" over the toilet and of course the toilet paper on seat trick..
I know at one time they didn't allow me to bring a small bottle of sanitizerr on the plane..??
Also...I will just hold my breath for the 2 flights..that should work...Right ??
:thumb:
transportation???

Did I happen to mention, that it also comes with "water wings"?:thumb:

(Actually, they're kinda built into it.....)

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
You have as much chance of catching Ebola on a domestic flight as you had 6 months ago. So think about it. Would you have flown 6 months ago without worrying about Ebola? The reason I say this is healthcare workers and other people have been coming into the US since March from West Africa. And there hasn't been one single case of someone catching Ebola by flying on a domestic flight. You have a better chance of dying in an accident on the trip to and from the airport than you do catching Ebola on the plane.

Enjoy your trip, and enjoy your new grandchild.

Reactions: susieneddy

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Use a clean paper towel to turn the water on, wash your hands, use clean towels to dry your hands, use a clean towel to turn the water off and use a clean towel to open the door when you leave
Not sure about where you are, but around here a lot of public bathrooms do not have paper towels. They have the automatic blow dryers for your hands.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I hate those air driers. I never feel as if my hands get dry enough. I like the paper towels where you can wave your hand and it dispenses more towel.
I don't like the dryers because of the people that just rinse their hands because they are to lazy/stupid/uneducated/uncaring?? to use soap. Those dryers fling that dirty water everywhere.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I experienced a different air drier. It was like a U, and your hands go down in the U and warm air blows on both sides of your hands at the same time.

Then at the hospital waiting area, the hand drier there is like a jet engine. Your skin is out the door and you have to go pick up your dry skin and put it back on your hands.
Sounds about like a jet engine also.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I experienced a different air drier. It was like a U, and your hands go down in the U and warm air blows on both sides of your hands at the same time.
They have those at an airport I spent several hours at last winter. I think it was called Air Blade or something like that. They do a good job drying but I didn't like them because it was difficult for me to use without touching it. Seemed like I bumped the dryer as I pulled my hands out every time. Used up a whole travel size bottle of Purell that day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts