Going to be interesting when they light the lantern

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Dec 12, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Customers at the Sunoco gas station in Deland, Fla., who thought they were buying kerosene, unknowingly purchased gasoline Friday.

The gas delivery trucker accidentally put the gasoline in the kerosene pump.

Residents who purchased kerosene at the Sunoco station located at 901 S. Woodland Blvd. in Daytona Beach are urged to return it as soon as possible.

Officials with the Deland Fire Department are worried about someone putting a flame near the gas, thinking it is kerosene, and sparking an explosion, according to Local 6 News.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I heard John Edwards caught a flight to Florida this morning. He was trampled when he got off the plane by all the other ambulance chasers trying to get there first.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Most people can tell the difference.Although I do know a Guy that tried using Gas in his Lamp :eek: ,caught his shack on fire.

big rockpile

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Good lord i hope no one has a head cold and cant smell the gas in there kerosene jug. :eek: Or worse yet tries to fill a heater that is already burning.Humm guess that would put a damper in your law suit wouldn't it.Yep I'm guilty. :rolleyes:

(gas stations in general rant!) After taking the long hoses off there pumps to make sure no one can put Kerosene in there cars or trucks.Looks like they would follow the same type of rules,and fix it so gas can not be put into there tanks. Ill throw my normal cursing fit in the morning when i have to drag my space heater out of the truck to be able to fill it with there freaking 2ft hose.And boy even more joy now that i have to prepay before pumping.(new thing in Clarksville) Makes it hard to fill it,when you don't no how much it will hold.The freaking tank is black as pitch and has no fuel gauge for god sake. :mad: And to think after i finally get calmed down and get ready to start work i could then plug it in and blow up! Sorry for the rant but gosh i feel better. :D

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Insanity, Just give them enough money to fill your tank and go back in and get your change. Why not just use a fuel can to haul your K1?

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I had thought about that.Just to inconvenience them also.Pay for to much and then make them refund the difference. :D But i wouldn't be punishing the rite person. Figured they may loose track of how much i gave them or that i even gave them money if i let them just hold the money.(i can tell you shop at a mom and pops, dont you.Or maybe you just have smarter people maning your stations :D )
    Its ashame they have to punish every one here for the dang idiots that drive off with out paying.I'm sure they where thinking most people would just whip out there credit cards and pay at the pump.But i don't have any,and don't really want any again.
    My truck has to many tools,ladders,paint buckets and now heaters in it.No room for a can to most of the time.I might start filling cans once a week and refueling at home.I have a 40 gallon plastic drum and hand pump.But no way to fill it with there short hoses now.I need to see if the local fuel company will sell to me.Might even be cheaper than at the pump.I could use cheaper,with the price being over 2+ bucks a gallon.My big heater holds 7gallons or so. :eek: That will put a dent in my pocket this winter.And a kink in your back when lifting it :(

Sorry for the rant,i just hate anything that has to do with putting fuel in anything any more.And the rising price isn't helping. :(

7. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Talk to a local fuel company. Some will sell it to tou right off the delivery truck.

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Would you believe Deland is my county seat! luckily, I no longer have a kerosene heater and am at another end of the county....hopefully no explosions will get close to us. We'd probably just blame the terrorists anyway.

9. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Scary! And I use so many antique lamps...........hopefully everyone realizes that it's gas........
    Here, no gas stations sell kero anymore...........I have to get it from a pump at a hardware store that's kept locked when no one is buying any........just don't order too much! It's messy stuff if you dump any from buying too much........... :D

10. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Hey insanity, I have one of those 12V electric fuel pumps that screws into a 55 gallon drum, and it uses a regular length fuel hose and nozzle. I've found some new old stock hoses and nozzles at a thrift store near here that used to be a gas station. They had them for $5 each, and I bought one of each for a spare.

If it were me, I would go there with a full length hose like that (bought cheap) and offer it to them for their K1 pump, they might just get the hint. :haha:

Bob

11. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    As I have never bought kerosene before, what does the odor resemble if not gasoline? Does it have more of a diesel fuel scent? I wouldn't know what it smelled like unless I had something to compare it to.

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Kero is sometimes refered to as a light (thin) diesel fuel. It is different than diesel in smell, but closer to it.

Don't quite understand the issue of filling the heater itself off the pickup, don't know anyone using a kero heater up here in MN that doesn't use a yellow tank of 5 or 10 gallons. Also need to set any seperate tank (or heater?) on the ground for grounding purposes, perhaps the reason for a short hose? No problem with getting too much here in MN either - can always use more heat! :) :)

--->Paul