Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't paid any attention to the black walnut trees til yesterday after a person called and asked if'n they could come and get some nuts. Last year they took over a bushel of nuts and believe me I was every thankful not having to pick them up myself... nothing worse then hitting the nuts with the lawnmower...
Last year and years pass there have always been an over abundance of nuts from the trees so I'm thinking sure no problem...
Well, I went out and checked to see if the nuts had started to drop; and there weren't any.....
I mean nothing on the ground. I looked over the trees and could find may 20 or so nuts on the 3 trees that are close to the house.. Even took a walk to some other black walnut trees growing in the woods and nothing...... So I thought well check out the hickory nut trees seeing I'm in the woods and it was the the same as the walnut trees - very few nuts...

Which brings me to the point that - with the lack of nuts it's going to be a rough winter for the squirrels......

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I was just at my project house yesterday, and a guy meeting me there had his daughter with. They commented on how many acorns were on the oak tree outside of the house, LOTS! Last year I don’t think I saw even one on the same tree.
Looks like a bumper crop of walnuts on one of my trees on another property too.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Hickory nut crops have a three year cycle-- heavy production--moderate & low production. I think Walnuts (same family) do the same...Oaks produce acorns in response to weather conditions--kinda like an unfortunately timed frost can ruin fruit production....The synchronous seed production by a group of trees is called "masting."

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Interesting. DH and I were just commenting last night - our black walnut tree was absolutely loaded and we've never seen it drop so many black walnuts as there are laying on the driveway and grass. It's literally a carpet of dropped nuts in that part of our yard. Must be a regional thing.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know bout cycles, etc but this is the first year that there hasn't been bags and bags of walnuts. I only checked the hickory trees cause I was in the woods and was curious if they were lacking nuts also...
As for the squirrels, there are my neighbor's cats that come though bout twice a week. Also I've seen a weasel off and on touring the area. Lastly I've got a 22 that's counted to the demise of many rodents....

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I was just at my project house yesterday, and a guy meeting me there had his daughter with. They commented on how many acorns were on the oak tree outside of the house, LOTS! Last year I don’t think I saw even one on the same tree.
Looks like a bumper crop of walnuts on one of my trees on another property too.
Yep my trees do the same. Every few years heavy load of acorns. Like you shovel off the deck, other years just a handful.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The black walnut trees around here are loaded.

Reactions: mzgarden
1 - 13 of 13 Posts