Going to a livestock auction tonight

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Michael W. Smith, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I have been wanting for several years to go to a livestock auction in our area. Have never gotten around to it until tonight. A fellow churchmember was the one who mentioned about going, but I don't think my wife has been too keen on my going anyway since I'm sure she is afraid what I might come back with! She is going along with us which may or may not be a good thing since she may cause problems if I want to buy something! But since they do have 2 auctions going at the same time - both upstairs & downstairs, I may be able to slip away from time to time! Wish me luck!

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Good luck Michael! Let us know what kind of goodies you make it home with. :)

3. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Michael, hope you have fun! I know when we went, we always came home with a few more pigs or goats than we expected. Even got an emu once, for $12.50! Couldn't pass up that buy. It was hard for us to think reasonably--we would have to feed all these critters, and they WILL get big. But all in all we had fun, and never regretted our purchases.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Drive whatever hauls the most cargo....just in case! And don't forget containers and straps to keep whatever you don't intend to buy safe on the trip home.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Wow, I am jealous! I hope you have a wonderful time, I have always wanted to go to a livestock auction too. Maybe someday, here they are held on most tuesdays, so I don't know why I have not invited myself to go along with my rancher neighbor!

6. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Sooo, watcha get? :haha:

Every once in awhile I'll go to one, in the next state. I love them! I went last weekend and ended up buying 4 geese. Now my one geese I had at home won't be lonely. I couldn't pass up the $5 each price, when a few months ago the lowest they were going for was $22 each.

Deb

7. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I did really good. The only thing that I bought was 12 bantam chicks at a whopping price of $.15 each - a total of $1.80!! Did I need more chickens? No, but I figured since most of my bantams are getting older, it was time to introduce some new blood, plus these chicks have feathers on their legs, & mine don't. I tried bidding on guinea chicks but quit when they went over $2.00 each - that is still a good price though, I must not have wanted them too bad!!

All in all, I had a fun time, my 6 year old son had a good time, & even my wife had a good time. There was a few sheep & lambs, a few goats, 1 horse, a few pigs - both small & HUGE! & alot of calves & cows. Some of the milking cows looked like they hadn't been fed for a while so I don't know if they had worms, some kind of disease, overmilked, or just plain, not taken care of. I'm already talking about going again - probably not next week, but the week after. They had 2 auctions going at once - 1 for the chicks, ducks, rabbits, guineas, junk, meat, etc. and 1 for all the larger animals.

The only problem I had was with the larger animal auction, you had to listen really close to what the auctioneer was saying & things moved very fast, so if you were going to bid, you had to bid quickly & not him-haw around trying to think!

Sisterpine - I urge you to ask your rancher neighbor to let you know the next time he is going. You'll have fun plus might get a friendship struck up!

mljjranch - No geese at this auction, but they did have a few turkeys.

8. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Where was the auction? I can never figure out where to FIND one!

I'm in west central Ohio.

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

go to the feed store, and ASK !
    theres generally at least 1 auction yard in any fairly ag area .....

prices ...
    in my many many many auctions, both buying and selling ::
    this is just illustrative
    based on auctions in wisconsin , minnesota north dakota and missouri that i have been to over the last 3 years ( older amounts would be pretty inaccurate)
    average to high prices

in each animal it depends on type and breed age and condiion , OH and of course, how much do you want it , and are you willing to pay
    these are general auction prices, go to a speciality auction , like say a bird auction , then prices will be WAY different, same as a horse auction... seen horses sell for 50.00 to $25,000.00+ ( the highest i saw was at a horse auction , APHA foundation sale in tx, 175,000.00 for a weanling filly)

Chicks .25 -75 cents
    chickens 1.00-3.00 each
    guineas 3.00-7.00
    Llama 25.00-50 ( un reg) Reg 100.00-300.00
    Goats , 10-20.00 each reg 20.00-150.00
    horses 100-700 grade reg 500-1400.00
    in my exp. Grade stallions are the CHEAPEST !!!, which is funny, cause they are just seconds away from being a perfectly good gelding
    Cow ((Generally market price)) , 1-180. per lb but if its a specialty breed, dutch belted or scottish highlands, it will be higher ... sometimes
    ducks 2.00-5.00
    Geese 5-15.00
    Turkey 4-25.00
    pig 5-30.00 ( weanlings )
    Sows/Boars 20-150.00

all these auctions are different, you can get great things for cheap , or terribly sick animals , i had a freind last year she bought a nice looking mare, 8 years old , only to find out she was full of cancer ....

10. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

They have them every month in Degraff (Sp) OH. I'll have to try to find out when they are. I use to go to them but haven't for a couple years.
    Steve

11. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Thanks Steve!! I'm in Findlay, but I think I can find DeGraff. That's near Indian Lake, isn't it??

12. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

DeGraff is straight south of Indian lake.

I called a friend on mine and found out the sales are the first Saturday of the month for small animals and poultry. ***That is this Saturday***

Also found out larger animals sale every Monday. I thought this is great as I have every Monday off! :D :(

Steve