Going through Withdrawls

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pointer_hunter, Jul 1, 2005.

1. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

Last few years I tried working a garden and it didn't turn out well. This year I decided to put up a raised bed garden. I had a 7ftx7ft old sand box that was about 8in deep out back. I leveled that off and scooped up the dirt that I had from below my rabbit cages from last year. The worms made quick work of everything and the mix was very nice. I checked it Sunday. Corn was waist high as well as the tomato plants. I already pulled beans and peas off. Cukes were budding out and the pepper plants were ready to bloom. I received a lot of compliments from people who looked at it.

The problem is....we closed on our house Tuesday. The first year my garden is taking off and I up and sell it :bash: Is it too late to try and get something going for this year or should I just start planning for next season?

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but you should still be able to grow peas, lettuce, radishes, cabbage (and maybe some other cruciferous vegetables), at least.

Could you move some of the plants you already have growing or are they included in the sale of the house?

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

To Gayle's list I'll add broccoli, cauliflower, early maturing tomatoes (might have to cover them in the fall to protect from frost), tatsoi, bok choy, some herbs, rhutabaga, carrots, turnip, lettuce, spinach and other greens, and most other cool weather crops. I'll be starting my fall crops tomorrow.

4. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

Gayle, everything went with the sale of the house. I had planned on setting up the garden on an old flatbed trailer so I could just haul it away, but the axle needed work and I had to plant before everything died. I guess I'll just try some of the items that you all suggested and get started on next year's garden.

5. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

I don't know how many cornstalks you had planted, but I don't believe you would have had very successful pollination.