Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they really are.

I give my dairy goats hay once a day and feed once a day when I am NOT milking. They get dairy twice when I milk.

I don't mind this, unless I would like to leave for a couple of days. The below question has to do when I am NOT milking my goats.
Is there anyway to leave out hay for your goats for over a 2 or 3 day period. Do they have to have grain everyday? It seems like they pick through the hay and they are finished with it. I put it in a basket. I would still have someone check on them. Is there a hay type feeder that they reach in to get the hay leaving fresh hay for the next day?

I don't even know if I'm making sense, but any suggestions would be great.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
I do not raise goats yet, but I have been lurking around trying to learn all I can. Someone had a link for a hay feeder the other day the would seem to be good. The fellow that made and sold them quit. But it would seem easy to make your own. It was basically a wooden box the size of a bale of hay but a little deeper. It sat on a pallet, had posts at the corners for a small roof to keep the rain off, and had a heavy grate. The bale was put in the box, and the grate was put on top the bale (if someone would give you a link, there are plans) I think one could have the grate welded up from larger rebar. A heavy grate is needed so it will stay down on the top of the hay, and keep the goats from pulling it up and getting their heads or body parts entangled. Perhaps one of the people on this forum that has one can give you the link, and verify that if it works well.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
The best way to have hay available for goats over a period is to chop it and put it in a covered feeder. The other option is to buy a calf creep feeder and fill it with alfalfa pellets. This way the hay/pellets stay out of the elements and the goats can't walk in it or throw it all out of their feeder. If your goats are used to their grain, you could have the person checking on them give them their grain.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Mine would be in trouble. 5 mins after I left one of them would poop in the water trough and then they would have no water for days. Not sure how many you have but I have 18 and they go through a huge amount of water a day. I would never be able to leave enough water let alone hay.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have three. Soon to have 5, 6, 7, or 8. She had 4 last time!!!! I have never found poop in their water. I have heard people talk about it. Don't understand why it is not happening to me.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
the water issue was my main concern. I had three berries in one bucket this morning:eek:. I keep two water buckets at all times, just for this occurrance. Dh built a wooden bracket about a foot off the ground that neatly contains 2 five gallon buckets, so the goats can not knock them over. I dump and change their water at least twice a day, whether it looks like it needs it or not. Personally I could not leave my goats for more than half a day unattended. It would stress them too much to not have someone asking them what they needed at that particular moment:eek:. I keep a baby monitor on 24/7 and can hear them baaing when I may be late for morning chores. They are creature of habit. I do not want to stress them, especially if they are pregnant.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So then I ask, do we create high maintenance goats or are they just that way? hmmmm something to think about.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I imagine there are plenty of goats that live the herd life with little interference from humans, probably meat goats. If they are used to being cared for they must be cared for. I don't think we are making them high maintenance just we need them to do something they were not originally designed to do. Once you domesticate any animal they are dependent on people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts