Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course I don't need any more goats, but... I know a guy that is getting our of goats and selling his boer herd. We sold him a lamancha last year. We are going to visit him tomorrow to see the boers. I am excited!

We used a boer buck the year I was in a car wreck and couldn't get out to go buck shopping. We ended up no selling a wether, we have him as a companion to our pygora buck, and well, I like the looks of the boer cross dairy. They are such easy keepers.

So maybe we will get a boer or a boer cross doe. I really don't know what to look for though in boers, besides basic correct conformation of course, and I will look for real strong udder correctness, as I intend for a strong dairy out of this crossing.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share cause I am excited. :)

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
How exciting JBlaze! I'll have plenty babies next month if you (or anyone else) are interested.
Of course your Boer does are never going to measure up in the udder dept to dairy. But some do have better attachement than others.
Teats are usually on the small side, especially if she has 2 pr side.
What you want to see are clean teats, whether 2 3 or 4....well seperated.
Nice long straight backs...just use your eye...how is she put togther is she graceful in her walk? Is she well balanced?
Have fun shopping!

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't get one with more that 2 teats known in her history!
We ended up out of that year of the boer buck with the only doe I would have kept a kid out of, and well, it had 3 teats. I gave that doe kid back to the lady that let me use her buck as a thank you and one of her 4h kids took the freshened doe to fair the next year, and guess what. Even with a teat defect that doe did super! (wierd judge to not weight such a defect more critically) ya just never know, lol.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Yes, look for a long, level doe, with rounded hindquarters (think Quarter Horse butt ;)) Good strong bone, a leg at each corner, strong pasterns (she's got to carry a lot more weight than a dairy goat). Make sure she has normal teats, no fishtail, blind or bunched teats.

A good friend of mine, who is an accredited dairy goat judge, has been asked to judge Boers and Pygmies a time or two. She says that she lines them up in her head as if they were dairy, then reverses the placings! :bouncy:

Have fun!

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, quarter horse butt. I will keep that in mind! lol. :)
very different from dairy butt.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Good point about the q horse butt!! Some of mine didnt develop theirs till into their 2nd yr so it will depend on the lines when it comes to growth rate.

Two teats per side is actually prefered in S Africa....more room at the table for multiples!

ps those "extra" teats in Boers is not a DQ in the ring!

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I am wanting to develope a meatier dairy, I am looking for very good udders and just 2 clean teats.
He did not have lots to choose from, but I chose a pretty doe kid. The dam looks fantastic to me, and both had very clean teats. My dd wants to get a market wether for 4h. hummm. thinking while she is refusing to do dishes, .... prob not. Bummer.
Excited about teh sweet doe though. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts