Going Dutch

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CurtisWilliams, May 22, 2005.

1. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    How good of a mom is a Dutch? I ask this because Sugar, my soon to be mom is shredding everything she can get her teeth and paws on. This includes anything I lay on the cage (it's in my room), pieces of carpet, ( padding in the top level, it's a ferret cage), I give her treats and she grabs my sleeve and tugs instead of going for the treats. She isn't due 'til 5/29. I've never seen nesting behavior as strong as this. She is constantly scratching and digging all nite long. Is this normal behavior for a Dutch?

2. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Dutch are excellent mothers! I have raised them ever since I can remember. Although small in size, they make up for it in mothering abilities. Second litter Dutch does are great mothers for those foster babies too.

Since she is not due for some time yet, this makes me wonder if she is having a flase pregnancy. It happens around 21 days after they are bred and they act like they want to build a nest and will even pull fur.

Brenda

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

LOL, yeah, it sounds like she will be a good mother. I have had dutch of both types, just depends on the rabbit, her genetics and her personality.

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy dutches are great mothers!...i raise them and sell for the pet market...i have a doe that will start pulling fur a day or two after breeding and by the time she is ready to kindle i have to suppliment fur cause she done pulled her belly bald....i would keep the carpet and all away from her in case she eats some....I would also watch putting my hand in her cage while she is bred to....i have a total of 4 dutch does and all are very tame but 2 of my girls will rip your hand off after they have been bred!...so now i clip all nails the day I plan to breed due to many many scratches...i also wear welding gloves when handling these two after breeding them they get so protective they will even come after me when i feed them attacking the scoop while i pour....listen for yer doe to growl at ya! it's a warning sign to get out of her cage they can be very aggressive as any mother can be including us humans...dale anne