Goin' fishing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Nov 7, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The mullet are starting to run, normal for November here. We are going cast netting for them very soon. A bit blessed here, the Gulf is 6 miles away; there are many fresh water sites also. Currant regulations allow 50 mullet per day per person. What a free food source!

How many of you eat fresh fish, or consider them a large portion of your food supply?

If anyone wants to go fishing I can recommend the Skyway fishing pier, between St. Petersburg and Bradenton. It is double ended with a portion on each side of Tampa Bay; a barge struck the old bridge about 15 years back so a new one had to be put in. Both portions features a 24-7 bait/snack shop with restrooms, vehicle admission is $7.00 for 24 hour permit to use the facilities. Cast netting is allowed as is salt water fishing within the state rules. No open flames are allowed so we just put the grill inside the pickups bed! Others bring their motor coaches and buy the weekend pass, its a very cheap form of entertainment. Does get a bit crowded at times though.

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Do you smoke the mackeral? (no dope jokes, ok?). There's a terrific fish dip/spread you can make from smoked mackeral.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Yes Jan, whats the recipe?

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Hey Mitch, if you're goin' fishin' for mullets, you're likely to catch a bunch of good ol' southern hillbilly's who like NASCAR!

5. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We eat a lot of fresh fish! All of us love to fish and with the Columbia River close by and rivers in our area we are all set for fishing. We even eat trout out of our creek we catch.

A couple months ago I got all four of my kids involved with a flyfishing club where they make their own fly's, and also get to go on fishing trips with the pro fly fisherman. That is one way to fish that I was never taught, so they think it's pretty cool to know how to fish that way. They have all caught bass with their own fly's they made, and I never realized that it's makes them so proud to do that. It's quite the sport!

Smoked Salmon is my favorite to eat, but we regularly eat trout, bass and sturgeon.

6. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Yum, fresh fish! We have been eating a lot of perch, walleye, and silver cats

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You eat mullet?? Thought they were just for bait.

We eat a lot of flounder and redfish and speckled trout from the bays near here. Shrimp, too.

:goodjob:

8. Didn't get to do it this last spring but usually I try to fill my freezer up with sandbass and crappie during the spring spawning runs. Here in Oklahoma the limit can vary depending on what body of water your fishing. Some places their is no limit on sandbass but some places it's a combined limit of 20 if the body of water contains strippers and hybrids. Crappie can vary by size. Someplaces you can catch your limit of 37 no matter what size they are and some places have a 10 inch minimum lentgh limit and it's hard to catch your limit of 37 crappies 10 inches or longer.

A poem for you M.H.

Bass and walleye, catfish and trout
    I'm telling you now you better look out.
    You were safe in the lakes while I was home wishin
    But be on your guard, cause I'm goin fishin.

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

...and here I thought that a mullet was a southern redneck style of haircut!

10. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Oh Rose, mullet are not just for bait. That's some of the best eating I've ever had. In the last 10 years smoked mullet has gone from $1.59 each, for a whole smoked mullet, to way above that per pound. With the right spices it's some of the best eating you'll ever taste.