God and the Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!

God and the Goat

One day God went for a stroll and as he walked down this dirt road he passed a goat tied to a tree. He said,"Well Hi there. Why are you tied to that tree?" The goat replied," My owner decided that she could not afford to keep me any longer so she tied me here hoping that someone would come by and want me." God looked at the goat and asked, "Aren't you a milk goat?" The Goat replied, "Why, yes I am. I can produce 2 gallons of lovely fresh goats milk every day for my owner." God then looked at the goat and said, "Have you produced any kids that your owner could eat?" The goat looked sad and said, "Yes, I have, God. I have given my owner many precious buck kids over the years that they were able to eat. They also used the skins of my dear kids to make warm coats for their children in the winter. I am heavy with kids now and will soon bring more kids into the world." Looking puzzled God told the goat to stand tall and be confident, that someone would pass her way and take her to a good home where she would be appreciated.

God continued on his walk and came to a cottage where an old woman was hanging out her wash. He walked up to her and said, "Good day Mam. How are you this wonderful day?" She replied by saying that she was so lonely she couldn't hardly stand it. Her husband had passed away several months ago and her children were all grown and left home. She told of her desperate need of food and that she just didn't know if she would be able to make it much longer. God noticed a field of corn out behind her house and asked the old woman if this was her corn field, she replied that it was but without rain it would soon die. God looked to the heavens and said, "Behold the clouds on the horizon. They bring you the rain your crop needs." God told the old lady that he had good news. If she would travel down the road, the way he had just come that there would be plenty of companionship, food and drink just waiting to be claimed. The old lady kissed God's hand and thanked him and leaving the rest of her wash in the basket started off down the road to see what God had in store for her. Standing there on the side of the road she rubbed her eyes in disbelief. Looking so proud and regal stood a beautiful Dairy goat. God had promised her companionship and there was a great companion, he promised her food and the old lady could see the goat was heavy with kid, he promised her drink and she knew that milk would soon be in abundance. So the old lady untied the goat and together they walked happily back to her cottage.

Though dark clouds may appear on the horizon, it doesn't always mean gloom and what seems a burden to some is a blessing to others.

By: Christine Edwards
    Cotton Eyed Does Dairy Goats

2. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

Thank you that was a wonderful story.
    Linda

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I always knew goats are a blessing. :D That's a nice story.

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

..okay, I cried....

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Incredibly sweet and wonderful to read. I read it out loud to DH, and he enjoyed it too!

THANK YOU for sharing!!!

Pony!

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

From one goat lover to another, thank you for the lovely story. :angel:

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

This story reminds me of a scene in the movie "Cold Mountain." There's an old woman who lives in the woods with goats. She was lovingly holding a young goat's face in her hands, petting it and talking to a starving soldier she'd found and dragged home. She said she'd figured out a long time ago that a person can live off a goat. They'll give you milk and cheese and company, and when you need it, good meat. Then she quickly and skillfully killed the kid she'd been petting so the soldier could have the meat. And she said to the dead kid, "You were a real beauty." For me, it was quite a touching and memorable scene.

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Okay Laura, now that made me cry!

9. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

Laura-

I saw that movie about 2 days ago, and I thought the same thing! It was a great and moving film, but that scene was so incredibly powerful, at least for me. Maybe because I have goats myself... : )

That woman was right on.

T

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

That was a WONDERFUL story, and Laura, yours made me cry, so said and yet true. THank you both for sharing.