Gobs of Green Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by KristineinKS, Oct 23, 2006.

1. KristineinKS

KristineinKS Well-Known Member

Ok, this year I had my first "real" garden and it was a complete and utter disaster. :-( As a result (I think) of not properly spacing my tomato plants, and of planting too many tomato plants, I now have, literally, hundreds of green tomatoes. A few days ago, I had to rip out the plants because I'm putting in a new fence, but my grandmother insisted that I remove all of the tomatoes from the plants rather than throwing them away. So, now my problem is, I have all of these tomatoes and am not sure what to do with them. Is there a way of ripening them still? Currently they're in an enormous box and will surely rot if I don't do something with them very quickly! Thank you.

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

The big ones, I would put stem-side-down in a window sill. If they were "close" to ripening - they will continue to go that direction.

And...

Fried Green tomatos
    Green Tomato Chutney
    Green Tomato Pickle
    Green Tomato Hot Sauce (use sorta like tomatillo hot sauce)

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Ah! The wisdom of the older generations is not to be despised! There are 1001 ways of using green tomatoes.

The best way to ripen tomatoes is to put them into a brown paper bag with a ripe tomato, and store in a warm, dark place. Tomatoes will not ripen in the fridge and they lose flavour when cold.

[ame]http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=green+tomato+recipes&btnG=Google+Search&meta=[/ame]

4. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Green tomato pie! It's very good.

5. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

I have even canned green tomatoes to use in the winter for fried green tomatoes. I have even just let them set in the bucket I've picked them into and they will ripen. Go through them often, throw the too soft ones to the chickens and enjoy fresh tomatoes as long as you can.

6. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

Ship them overnight express to me :)

Fried green tomatoes is the first thing that comes to mind (yummy)

Omnicat has some good ideas. Do you have the book Stocking up III? If not, I could look up some recipes for you.

GR

7. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Try this:
    Google "Mock Raspberry Jam"

We can't keep enough around! I also use other flavor jello's :)

I know you won't be disappointed!

Blessings,
    Tamr

8. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

We had the same thing happen . . . hundreds of green tomatos.

I washed them in cold water to get the dirt off, and either put them in boxes or paper bags with one ripe apple. Ripe apples give off a gas that ripens tomatos quickly. I've noticed if they don't rot first, they'll mostly ripen no matter what you do to them.

I noticed "bag ripened" tomatoes are not a normal red color, a little washed out, so when they are red enough, I put them in the window sill and they get their proper color.

Tamar, I'm going to google that recipe. I LOVE raspberry anything. Plus, I am even sick of RED tomatoes. You'd think in zone 4 tomatos and peppers wouldn't do so well . . . that's all that grew in my garden. Oh yeah, and cucumbers, more than we could can, eat or give away. Go figure.

9. KristineinKS

KristineinKS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm glad to know I don't have to lay them all out individually to ripen, although it occurred to me that I could do so on the cellar floor, but wasn't sure if they'd ripen down there? I guess I'll pull the larger ones out & try them in bags, but there really are just SO many!

And GeorgiaRebel, no, I don't have the book...recipes would be very much appreciated, if it's not too much trouble. Thank you!

10. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

D'OH! I wasn't thinking about the fact that you have HUNDREDS...

no, the windowsill method would not work.

The brown bag with a ripe tomato or apple will work. I'd go with an apple - as they take longer than tomatos to get "gross" if they start going "bad"

<going to google mock raspberry jam>

11. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

If you put em in a paper bag with an apple and a banana they'll ripen up pretty good!

12. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

I like the sound of the green tomato hot sauce. Any recipes for it?
    corry

13. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I put them into paper bags and keep them around 60*F. In the last house there was a little nook in our kitchen that served the purpose.

14. RedEarth

RedEarth Well-Known Member

I wrap some in newspaper and put them in a box. Check them every now and then, pulling out the ones that are starting to ripen and putting those on the window sill. Wrapped in paper, if any start to rot, it doesn't spread right away to the others. I've had home grown tomatoes to new year's day this way before.

15. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I always pick all my green tomatoes when the first hard frost threatens (before that, I just cover the plants with bedsheets if a 'frost warning' is issued). They ripen up very well in the basement, cellar, or on the kitchen counter and allow us to keep enjoying fresh tomatoes for several more weeks.

If you have enough ripen at once, can them just like you would if they were right out of the garden and ripe.

One green tomato recipe my family loves that I haven't seen mentioned yet is green tomato bars. They remind me a little bit of the taste of fig newtons.