goats with cough

Discussion in 'Goats' started by julibow, Nov 21, 2004.

1. julibow

julibow New Member

for the last coulpe weeks i have noticed that one of my does has has sort of a "smokers cough". I asked my vet about it and she said "im really not an expert on goats. They get all kinds of stuff" !!!!!!!
    Ok so iknow its time to find another vet but for the time being does anyone have any advice?
    juli

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

This could be anything from a respiratory infection to allergies to lung worms. When was the last worming and what wormer did you use?

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Does she have any kind of a fever? Any nose discharge? Is this a dry, sort of "barking" cough, or does it sound "wet" and sort of phlegmy?

Is your hay dusty at all? She could just be coughing from some dust. Get down at goat level on her bedding. Is there any ammonia smell? Is the bedding dry? Damp bedding can make them cough sometimes. Has the weather changed dramatically? My goats get a little snuffly with the first cold snap.

Just some things to check out. I sympathize with you about the vet situation. If something's wrong with my sheep I have no problem finding someone to take a look at them. If something's wrong with the goats, it's like pulling teeth to have them checked out.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Is she chewing her cud after the coughing episode? Sometimes with a switch to grass in the pasture, to hay in the barn, does will get exaggerated coughing to spit up that more longstemmed cud. I would also start taking her temp, I don't do anything for a cough unless they have a temp or start getting other sypmtoms, wheezing chest, icky eyes etc. Give Probios or another good bacteria product to boost the bacteria in her rumen, give B vitamins also.

Lungworm is a herd wide problem so unless she is new or you brought this in with a new goat, it is unlikely that is the problem.

If you haven't wormed in awhile you may want to take in a fecal, or worm. What wormer are you using?

Love all the info about wet barns and bedding, it's super important to keep the goats in a clean area, in fact it's better to have no barn at all than a dirty wet one. IF you can't kneel in the barn and not have wet knees, than add bedding. Be also careful with lime, when they dig it can cause dust that will cause chemical pnemonia if inhaled. Vicki