Goats with attitude

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TennesseeMama23, May 19, 2006.

1. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

I have a really biddy of a goat, I love her bunches, but she is really aggressive to other goats (and any other critters). She is the unchallenged top goat (at least under me--I don't take her crap). I have a 5 week (aprox 30 lbs) old I am bottling and want to put him in with the rest of the goats, but when she sees him she comes after him 100 miles an hour with her head down (no horns). She tried to kill my little puppy, and I fear she will really hurt him. I tried standing there with him and when she would come at him I would smack her in the nose real good, after about 3 good licks from me, she just left, but I know as soon as I turn my back she will clobber him.

He is the only goat I am bottling right now and he is lonely, and I have a several other kids in the main goat pen. I just want him in there-he needs to learn to be a goat.

Have any of you had a biddy that has really hurt a little one? Dh thinks I just need to put him in there and leave and they will eventually be fine, I don't want him hurt, but he is really starting to get on my nerves standing on my back porch thinking he is one of my children. What do you think?? mel

2. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

I have the same problem with one of my goats. Only my babies are now 4 months and she still hits them. I would not chance it. We tried when ours were 8 weeks and she butted them so hard I thought she killed one. He laid there for until I picked him up and took him out. She still does it but now they run faster and watch for her.

Laina

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

You herd queen could very well hurt you little goat. Internal injuries are a possibility. I suggest taking a spray bottle of water in there to disapline the aggressive goat rather than swatting at her as that is goat language for "lets butt heads some more". Can you make a makeshift pen for the little goat inside the main pen?

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with the herd queen and our alpha wether two years ago when we got two new babies. I cut old 3/4 inch rubber hose long enough to cover the tips of their horns, tapped them down firmly onto the horn with a rubber mallet, then secured them with duct tape. That solved the problem of possible goring. But they could still hook their horns on a leg or around the neck of a baby, so I ended up wrapping their horns completely in duct tape from tip to head. This way, no leg or head/neck was going to get caught. No babies got hurt, and once the kids got a little bigger and were safely accepted as part of the herd, I took off the duct tape and rubber hose. It worked great as a temporary fix.

Now I have two new bottle babies born 2 months ago which I let socialize with the bigger goats a little at a time. Even though I supervise these 'visits' now, it looks like i am going to have to resort to the duct tape/hose again with the herd queen and alpha wether because by the time the babies are 3 months old, I plan on putting them out with the herd all the time.