Goats strips bark off apple tree.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CountryFried, Apr 13, 2004.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

Stupid goats stripped most of the bark off my newly planted apple trees . Question is, will it survive and what should I do ? Anyone know??

It does have a 1/2 inch strip that keeps it from going all the way around, as we heard a tree will die if the bark is stripped all the way around.

Anyone want free giveaway goats ?

Sherry

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Not the goat's fault the yummy apple tree was not fenced and protected - deer love apple trees also.

3. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Our goat did the same thing to my baby cherry trees last year, 3 of the 4 survived.........I imagine you have already got it so he can't do it again because this method won't keep them from stripping the tree it only helps the tree mend. Get some of the self adhering vet wrap, the stuff I get is called Coflex (they do have a site at coflex.com ) Wrap the trunk of the tree atleast 3-4 inches above and below the damage, tight enough to stay onand about 4-5 layers, and then dust it with a fly/bug repellent--I used an organic spray I use to keep the flies off the horses, but a cream would also work well ( in case the goat gets to it again he won't get sick from a chemical), this will help deter the bugs from getting into the trees soft spots--which are anywhere the bark is gone. It's a slow process, I was unsure if ours was going to make it for about a month or so. Also, I am unsure what state you're in but around here in WA when I put in new fruit trees, and trim the main stock headed up, I coat that cut end with wood glue to keep the bore beetles out, those are some awful lil things that dig straight into any cut end and kill the tree. I have seen this year they have even tried to bore through the glue......they never make it lol. Good Luck

4. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

rio002-
    Thanks very much for the info. I'll get right on it.