Goats or Sheep

Discussion in 'Goats' started by flannelberry, Jun 13, 2006.

1. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Hi Everyone

I would so appreciate your help in making this big decision.

I have the option of a some mini hair sheep (can't be bred -can't remember which breed specifically, I'll double check my email) or two mini milk goats (sisters - juveniles but could be bred).

I recall precrash we did a sheep vs. goats thing and I would so appreciate that again while I am trying to make this decision.

Right now I love the thought of goats -I've had full sized [nubians and alpines] before but am intrigued by hair sheep. I'm excited about not having to play the fence games we had to with our goats!

However, I am also excited about the possibility of babies and milk. And, just having goats again.

We have lots of pasture that would be good for grazing/browse with a portable fence, but I'm not sure how well the goats would do.

We have a pyr and tonnes of waterfowl.

And sadly, I just can't take on the sheep and goats right now. I don't have enough shelter space etc. and time's at a bit of a premium.

I'm also cross posting on the sheep forum.

Many, many thanks. She's holding both for me so I can decide - very nice breeder.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Are you sure the mini breed of sheep can't be bred? that is extremely unusual. Seems to me, like if you got a ram of your own or borrowed hers of the same breed there would be no problem whatsoever.
    Personally, I would take the goats. I love my goats, they make the best of pets ever. I love buying equipment to better care for them, i love taking out raisins for them to eat, I love just sitting and watching them, I even love when they are annoying... I don't think I'll ever be able to live willingly without goats again.
    Sheep always seem skittish and offish. They're not as smart as goats either. :) With goats, you can always harvest thier cashmere in the spring and still use it. Thats what I did, though it takes an extremely long time to pick out all the peices of hay, dirt, exc.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

If these are all minis, it really isn't going to take much space to house four, so maybe you can have both. I had a regular sheep and three goats, a standard Ober and two Nigerians, and the total floor space for animals inside the shed was 5 feet by 10 feet. The other 5 by 10 area was kidding stall/hay storage depending on the season, and a tiny milking area. Everybody was happy. You can also supplement shelter space with large dog houses, so the low animal has a place to go until they all get to be friends. The sheep will happily graze the grass, and the goats will browse the taller stuff. It should not take any more of your time to have sheep and goats, rather than goats alone, if you're keeping them in the same area. They all eat the same thing. The only tricky thing is copper, but if you supplement the goats separately, you can work with that. I'd get 'em all if I wanted them!

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally, I'd take the goats over sheep anyday. But thats just personal preference. Get what you want and will enjoy.....I mean, if you don't enjoy it....whats the point?=)

5. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Thanks you guys.

Emily - that's my dilemma - I enjoy them way too much and I just want more and more and more! I'm leaning towards the goats because I know how fun they are but it'd be interesting to have the sheep too. I did learn that although weather wise the sheep are a bit hardier they aren't otherwise which is influencing me too.

Thanks!!!

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If it was up to me I'd say go with the goats. They'll be more useful than non-breeding sheep.

Kathleen

7. Susan n' Emily in TN

Susan n' Emily in TN Well-Known Member

I had a sheep we used to call houdini, cause he could get out of anything, He was born with that look in his eye. He would watch us leave and then slip out. I had shetland sheep and this flock wasn't friendly at all. I am gearing up to get some Nigerian Dwarfs, and possible take the plunge and get a Nubian doe as well and work on a mini Nubian herd, we shall see. Nothing moves along very fast at my place. Susan