Goats not interested??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexasArtist, Jun 26, 2004.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me why none of my girls are interested in the male?? He's been out there prancing , sing he's best love songs, trying to snuggle with the girls, just about everything he can think of but the girls just aren't interested. Is there something wrong? My only thought is "oh great out of 2000 goats on that ranch we pick out the 7 lesbains!" :rolleyes: :waa:

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

It might just be that the does are not yet ready to go into heat. Give it a few more months.

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

they usually go into season, July or August. Then they will be interested about 3 days in a row every 21 days until they are bred.

4. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

what breed goats do you have?

the swiss breeds won't come into heat (usually) until aug or so. the lamancha's are about the same. nubians will sometimes breed yr round. boers will too, but the conditions have to be right. sometimes running the buck w/the does will help, sometimes it won't.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I think most does are only interested when they're in heat. You just gotta wait.

6. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Tell him to sing the theme from "Man of LaMaaaancha".
    Get him a TV with a really good ball game on it and they'll come around in the 4th quarter.

7. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Our goats around here don't come into heat until late September...then you'd better have a real close eye on your buck AND your gals!! :eek:
    Sarah

8. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody. We have the buck with the girls all the time and we've had everyone of them since this past october. He and two of the girls are nubiens are the rest boar. So far in all this time we've only had one of the girls pregnant. That's why we're stumped. Everybody else is up to their knees in babies but we barely have any. We had two born about 4 months ago.
    Again thanks for the help.

9. oldmcdonaldsfarm

oldmcdonaldsfarm Well-Known Member

Maybe they were pregnant and aborted early without anyone noticing or just reabsorbed? Just a thought. I have heard about "abortion storms" but can't think of the common link right off hand.
    How old are the does? Did you notice anyone's heat cycle since November? usually with Nubians it's pretty obvious :)

10. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

toxoplasmosis is one of the common threads for abortion storms...worming at the wrong time, adn something else i can't come up w/right now....could be the does are barren or the buck just not a strong buck? or, the girls might just not like him (not that that usually makes much difference to HIM)

11. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, if you run the buck with the does you will have a lower conception rate than if you keep the buck alone (or with another buck) and just introduce the doe when she is in season. If he was a young buck, that might be your only problem.

If that was it, then he is a year older now and will do better.