Goats milk vs. cows milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by NativeRose, Aug 19, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I really know very little about goats. I have a question about goat's milk.

What is the difference between it and cow's milk that makes it more digestable? I hear of doctor's telling people to drink goat's milk not cow's milk and I am curious about the difference. Does it have anything to do with how many stomachs a cow has? Anyway I am curious and would appreciate any information.

2. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

One of the reasons that I know of is that the fat globules in goats milk is smaller and easier for humans to digest. It is also naturally homogenized. At one time I had alot of info on the nutritional benefits and why it is better, but of course today when I need it I cant find it. Some research is also showing that cows milk may contribute to scaring of the arteries which increases your risk of heart disease. If I remember right (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) there is no lactose in goats milk. Goats milk also acts as a natural antacid for people suffering from heart burn. Hope that helps and I'll look those papers to try and help more. I'm sure there are many others on here much more knowledgable than me on this matter. :happy:

3. ilikefathorses

ilikefathorses My Horse Really Is Fat

http://www.saanendoah.com/milk_species.html

This is a great site with many animals listed and their milk compared. Yes, goats do have lactose, but my dad who is lactose intolerant to cows' milk can drink goats milk.

4. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/goat1.htm

This is a very good website and more scientific information than the previous post. It explains the difference in fat make up real well.

5. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Thank you all. This gives me the information I needed.