goats milk soap any info, recipes...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Aug 19, 2005.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I have been looking at goats milk soap and am interested in learning how to make it. Do any of you have good recipes or input on how easy or hard it is to make and if you like it better than regular soaps. THANKS!!! :sing: :angel:

2. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

We make soap w/wo goats milk. I really don't see much,
    difference...maybe slightly milder, but I put lots of good
    stuff in it, so it's hard to know. IMO, it's just a fad that
    alot of us are catering to.

You can substitute milk for water in any soap recipe.
    (assuming you already make it) If you want lots of input,
    do a search in the Cooking & Crafts Forum.

3. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Still needs gobs of lotion, esp. in winter,
    and not just any lotion, but the best I can
    afford. We're in a very dry climate, but I've
    had a tendency to have dry skin even living
    with humidity. Some have better luck with
    GMS, and if they want it, I'll make it. ;)

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My husband's eczema is better when he uses the goat's milk soap. I don't notice a difference between my goat's milk soap and regular soap. I definitely do notice a difference between commercial soap and my homemade soap. Different skin types react differently to different things.

I add lye directly to the hard frozen milk, when I've let the milk thaw a bit it's carmelized a bit more than I like. Other than thinking ahead enough to freeze the milk, it's no harder to make milk soap than it is to make any other kind of soap. http://www.teachsoap.com/ and http://www.thesage.com/ have all sorts of recipes you can look through. Just add milk instead of water.

If you ask 3 different soap makers how to do do things, you'll probably get 10 correct answers. We all find our own ways of getting the end result we want.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I don't actually think much lasts...past the lye..but even saying that, and I don't think there is any science to it, but my GM soap is excellent on my old dry (San Diegan sun worshiper) skin. I rarely use my lotions anymore, even after washing my hands 20 times at least during each milking session, twice a day for 10 months. I think homemade soap is just soo much better than any detergent bar or glycerin bar, that to me it is the difference.

To start soapdishforum.com is excellent, not only for recipes but for coops of products used in making toilitries.

Don't go getting sucked into the notion that you have to use expensive butters and oils either. I use lard, coconut oil and sunflower oil (all from Walmart) and it makes a wonderful hard consistant bar of soap. Tallow is also a great bar. There is so little difference between sunflower and olive, that for only my true Castile, do I even use olive anymore. I even use sunflower in infusions for my salves and balms now. With the above ingredient it's also cheap enough to make getting your technique down. You can get Lye at most large supermarkets in the chemical isle, since it's used to unclog toliets or home centers like Lowe's.

Always, no matter where you get your recipe, put it through the lye calculator at thesage.com she has recipes up also, in fact my GM lotion recipe is very simlar to one of her recipes that I just tweaked and had tested.

Save all the expensive oils that you have to purchase, and that are mostly used for label appeal for when you have your skills honed...throwing out a ruined batch that cost $5, or shredding it down to use for laundry soap is much eaiser to take than using oils or butters that cost $5 each.

My most popular bars now are sunflower/coconut/shea, but I also purchase shea in very large quantities to keep my perprice per ounce down. I also purchase my lye in bulk (50 pounds). But I still use my old molds, Martha Stewart utility trays from Kmart. They make good size bars that are easy to cut with a miter box (the yellow plastic ones from Lowe's or Home Depot) and no lining, just a spray of generic Pam.

Oddly for my table, I only make one essential oil bar (eucalyptus mint), and one loffa foot scrubby also eucalyptus mint, the essential oil bars and lotions simply don't sell, it's all about scent, and if it isn't a bakery scent or a dupe of Victoria's Secret they don't buy it. Now a gal who purchases my goatsmilk form me to make her bars she sells at a farmers market, does all EO's...Go figure!

Soaping is a wonderful addition to your goats. Selling milk and products in which you use your products is always smart.

I would be happy to share recipes for soap I make, just email me. Vicki