goats in the woods?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by oceandaughter, Sep 9, 2005.

1. oceandaughter

oceandaughter Member

Would it work to have goats on land that is mostly wooded (like say 95%)?

I'm thinking of maybe only two or three for milking and for pets not for fiber or meat.

Jo
    new person

2. Raptor

Raptor Well-Known Member

Depends where you live. If you have coyotes or feral hogs or other predatory animals the woods are not the best place for your animals.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

actually, brushy tree areas are probably the best for goats, because they are browsers, not grazers. cut down any wild cherry trees, the wilted dead leaves are toxic.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

As long as your woods aren't full of yew trees, the goats will be in heaven. They love brush.

5. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I've a dozen dairy goats and am moving to 12 acres and am glad its mostly wooded. I have a small area now and cut limbs for them all the time and add with their hay. They go crazy when they see me bringing limbs over.

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

well, it depends on the amount of undergrowth, the type of undergrowth, etc. they will love it-they are browsers. make sure you have good tight fences, and an lgd (livestock guardian dog-my favorite is the great pyrenese) wouldn't hurt at all. they will clean the trees up to the height they can reach standing on hind legs (usually about 5-5 1/2 feet)

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A pyr in our underbrush would not be a pretty site :) We were totally wooded and all underbrush, the goats have done a really good job of clearing us a few smaller pastures, a forest fire did one! I had the pines taken out in the back because I couldn't breath there was never any breeze, and in this humidity, add 3 full grown bucks and WOW!!

Like was posted above, goats do wonderful in the woods, you can disregard alot of the cocci and worming threads you read (except after purchase, stress of moving and kidding), because your goats are eating with their heads up, not eating grass that re-parisitizes them! I have the most beautifully trimmed trees (oaks, hickorys etc). Good luck with your new place. Vicki