Goats in the winter

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Panther, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

2. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Where I am, it gets below 0 but I don't worry unless it's wet and windy. Then I will lock them in, otherwise, they have an open door that allows them to go out or not on their own.

I also leave the manure in their shed, putting wood pellets and hay on top to keep it dry and ammonia down. When I go into the barn, it is actually warm compaired to outside.

Is this what you were asking?

3. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

I didn't read the thread, but my goats do fine in winter. Make sure they have plenty of hay to eat, keeping the rumin active provides body heat. A clean draft free shelter. I don't clean my stalls in the winter, just keep adding more bedding. If you kneel down and get wet you need to add more bedding. And make sure that they have fresh unfrozen water to drink. Around here water heaters/de-icers are a must. But goats, like some horses will take the cold better than others. Just keep on eye on them. Make sure they are drinking and eating well and not shivering.

4. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

We've been raising goats here in central Maine for almost 20 years. In January we typically get two weeks of extreme cold ( 30 below zero) with daytime highs of 10 below with no difficulty. You just don't want to have kids at that time of year though.

5. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I kidded goats out at -39 F a few years ago, and they did just fine. Most important is that they are dry with no drafts (that doesn't mean no ventilation!)

Tracy