Goats in the house

Discussion in 'Goats' started by FarmGoddess, Jan 4, 2007.

1. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

The weather is horrible. Lots of rain and turning cold. So the babies are in the house.

Don't laugh, the Pampers work.

[​IMG]

2. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Oh my!!!!!!!!! That picture is just tooooooo cute!!!!!!!!

** P.S. I'd probably have brought them into the house, too! But don't tell. LOL ;)

3. Oldntimes

Oldntimes Well-Known Member

you can also use doggy diapers.They have holes in them for the tails and they stay on better.

Colleen

4. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Or poke a hole in the pampers for the tail - I'd bring in babies too if the weather were awful. But I'd be worrying about where to keep them, knowing how notorious they are for their ability to jump and climb!

Well, I DO have a large dog crate. That would probably be their lot :D

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I use a large metal dog crate with the top open. we had babies one Jam with -30 temps.

Patty

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Look at those sweeties!

7. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Love that picture. :)

With all the rain here this fall I keep threatening
    to turn the back third bedroom into stalls.

Be careful though, I had a buckling with a nasty cough and started to
    keep him in a huge crate in the house to make giving shots easier
    and to keep him from the dampness.
    The breeder told me that if I kept him inside, when he was better
    and returned to the outside he could really get sickly due to
    going from the heat to the cold.
    What kind of goats are those?
    They're so cute. I'll gave to show my granddaughter
    the picture, she'll get a kick out of it.

8. dap

dap lilsparrow

That is an adorable picture!!! Do you always put the collars on when they are so young? I was afraid with mine that they might get themselves caught somewhere they shouldn't be!

9. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

I though everyone had kids in their house during kidding season?? :) Love the pic!

They can be house broken too!. When I still had the dairy, my girls were barn broken. They knew not to do their business in the milk barn. Just a quick sanitizing rinse and the floor was clean (unless it was muddy outside). That's why I've always wondered why some dairies put 10 or 20 at a time in the stanchions. The finish their food, make a huge mess, get bored and don't want to come in to be milked. One person can only reasonably milk two at a time anyway, so I had stancions for 4. No mess, no fuss. Ran 89 through in no time.

10. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I had a orphan baby in my living room for 2 weeks. Nothing wrong with bringing them in when they need to be. LOL

11. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

My Libby used to like to come in and watch tv and eat popcorn. I sure miss her.

12. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I had to bring last year's bottle babies in the house due to extremely out of whack april weather... I put them in a large dog crate (and the cats loved sleeping with them). In three days, we had those three babies trained to go into their crate to pee, and since they usually pooped at the same time, we had very little mess in the house. Those three little boys are going to be part of my son's pack goat string, and when he wants to take them in his truck, he says "go pee" and they do! We're trying to housebreak a 10 week old puppy and those goats were about 10,000 X easier.

13. Simpler Times

Simpler Times Well-Known Member

We had our bottle baby inside for over a month! She housebroke herself using one of the dog's impromptu beds (cardboard box with towels in it). I'm not sure who was more amused with her, my little cowboy (grandson), my Yorkies, or my husband who now proclaims every time that we get a new goat that we are "not sleeping with this one" (I had a fold up cushion beside our bed that the bottle baby actually slept on. It put her about a foot above the surface of our bed. She looked like a little sphinx there with her feet folded under her looking at us as we lay in bed)! I wish I knew how to post a picture!

14. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

A goat breeder friend of mine puts a colored collar on the baby/babies with matching color collar on the doe.

That way she knows who their mommies are.

Makes it easier to tattoo and sort and cull...

And my babies have not ever gotten caught on their collars (you can use break off collars)...

DO NOT leave choke collars on or lamb halters/leads. Yep, they are killers unattended... Big ear tags can be killers too...

I suppose leg bands would work? But the babies are easier to catch with collars on. Just grab the collar...

15. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

How cute!!! Babies are always cute, any animal to me is cute, no matter the age, but babies are just so adorable and sweet!! I have brung goats in before and if people are not country or goat lovers, then they think you have lost your mind. I don't let someone judging me, decide on how to take care of my kids. I use Xlarge kennels, the fold away kind, is easiest for me. Didn't have the diapers,only shredded newspaper, next time the diapers will come in handy. Thanks for sharing the lil ones with us. While I am here, I have a post up this morning about my lil one, anyone for ideas?? Have a great day!

16. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Adorable babies! Sannens, right? I had one of ours inside, from my friend, Mary in Texas. My sister was on the phone to me and heard the little 'ma, ma' and asked me what that was. I told her a baby goat, and she really thought I had lost it. Not to worry, sister, she's in a crate. Thanks for sharing the pics! Gotta get back to the barn, more babies expected today. Jan in CO

17. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I LOVE SAANENS!

I, too, have had babies in the house. Way too long, though; when they can jump up to the top of an antique upright piano it's definitely time for them to go outside!

Be careful, though, of the crate idea. I sold three babies to someone (bottle babies, of course) who thought she was doing them a favor by putting them in crates next to her woodstove. The heat combined with the moisture gave them all a mild case of pneumonia.

Janis

18. wishomesteader

wishomesteader Well-Known Member

i would of done the same thing..that pic is so cute...good luck my friend.

19. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

For marking babies/moms, use fingernail polish on a front hoof, matching color on mom's hoof. It won't wear off for awhile, trust me.

20. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

OOOH. I like the idea of colored fingernail polish.

that would work well...

too cool.