Goats in the coop

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Jul 26, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Ever since we started to build the chicken coop the goats (2 kids Nds) have coonsidered it their playhouse. Now the building is done and I have three chickens and they still want to go in -- mainly when I am around. They drink out of there water even though they have there own and of course they want to eat the feed and scraps! :nono: I don't put much feed out at a time for this reason. I have squirted them with the hose when I have caught them heading into it but I'm not around all the time. :p

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them out until I get the chicken fence up?? I don't want them getting sick. I think they think there mission now is to find ways in!

CJ

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Fence in or fence out is really the best option ..... electric or other. But I know how things are. It's not always possible to have everything set up immediatly or before we get animals. I'm in sorta the same situation (unfinished pasture fence, yet got two goats).

Another option might be (if it's safe in your area), to put the goats on a lead line when you can't be near them. We have two 24 foot long horse lunge lines ($15 each) that we bought for our goats. Right now we don't have the pasture fence up, so I keep the goats in small chicken yards most of the time (no chickens in there). To give them time on the pasture I take them out once or twice a day on the lunge lines. They're both young (3 1/2 months & 7 weeks), so I don't leave them there, and we have stray dogs around so I don't consider it safe in my area to leave them there unsupervised.

It would be sort of like having a dog on a chain..... gotta check on them several times a day. Make sure they aren't tangled or tipped over the water. Or maybe you could tie them for short times, let the chickens have food at those times, then release the goats and put the chicken food up.

Or...... build a stand that the chicken food goes on that the goats can't reach but that the chickens could fly up to.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Its hard to say what would work best without knowing what your coop looks like. Got any pics?

4. christij

christij Well-Known Member

My posting rules says I can't post pics. =(

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If you mean the rules at the bottom of the page they are referring to "attachments" which means downloadable files. Pics can be posted through a link. Read the thread on posting pics and it will tell you how