Goats in Natural Growth?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rranch, Aug 18, 2006.

1. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

We have several arces of natural growth on our land. I was wondering is ok to let the goaties to brush control that area. Anyone have any experience with their own property? We have a very physco neighbor that will well...you can just guess. Anyhow we have other land they are on now. Thanks for any input.

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I'm not sure what you are asking.

As long as you have good fence, there shouldn't be a problem.

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Well apparently, the rule is, no adding to, removing from, or clearing of natural growth.
    You cannot build on it, etc. So I was wondering if letting my animals brush control would be considered the samething. Nothing says animals aren't allowed to eat folage. But I'm not sure about livestock either.

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My goats eat just about everything and if put in an area with "natural growth" they would kill all the brush and young trees in short order. They would also likely kill most of the "weeds" over time.

I would suggest against putting your animals there.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on how much area and how many goats you have. Just a few goats on several acres, they will just trim it a bit if your getting plenty of rain to keep it growing. If you overburden it with goats, they will eat everything down. Here, any brush is fair game. I am not familiar with the idea of "Natural Growth" and its protection, so I really couldn't say. Is there anyone in your area whom you could contact about it??

6. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

contact your local county extension office they should be able to answer your question
    around here fencing laws are if you dont want my goat in your yard you have to fence them out
    We have a physco neighbor so I learned these laws pretty quick
    they currently do not want our horses all mares visiting through the fence

I let our goats out to browse as often as I can we need to watch them or they make a bee line for the fruit trees.We have had so much rain that the brush weeds and grass are all atleast waste high

7. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Here in Wa St the weeds are higher than I can reach. Higher than the goats can reach and thicker than all get go. I'll get some pics. I have some 15 plus goats mostly pygmies, only 2 boar crosses.

8. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Even if they don't denude the entire area they could eliminate their favorite food plants and trample much more.

I just put my 13 Alpines on 400+ feet of pond dike (roughly 1/10th an acre) about a week ago. The dike was thickly covered with birdsfoot trefoil, golden rod, various weed species and willows. I'm amazed at how quickly they ate and trampled the area down.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If you have a "rule" that says no clearing then you cant put goats in there at all since eating it IS clearing.

10. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

We are looking for the paperwork on our land now. That should help answer some questiions. We have to be very careful with this neighbor. We have hired an attorney already for another issue. We have an easement going thru his land in order to access our land from an equally owned private drive. He harasses us contantly about putting up gates blocking our access, making threats about my animals, blah blah blah. Slightly over the edge this one. His dogs come over all the time and have even killed my chickens by getting into my hen house. Right now the goats and chickens are all penned up inthe back of the property way a way from them. We have been nothing but curtious and nice.