Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a rookie mistake (please be gentle). Our kiko goats (3 months old wethers) share a pasture with two piglets. I assumed (wrongly) that I could give each of them their food and they would eat from their own feeder. I also did not expect the piglets to let the goats eat from the same tub with them. This morning I fed the pigs some table scraps and some hog feeder pellets. It is not much (it is more of a treat, they get most food from the pasture). The table scraps were probably harmless - a few grapes, pieces of PB&J sandwiches my kids did not eat, etc. But I am more concerned about the hog feed. It is Formax brand and here is what is in it:

Grain products, plant protein products, processed grain by-products, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, salt, zinc, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, ethylenadiamine dihydriodide, ?? selenite, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, sodium bisulfite complex, choline chloride, riboflavin, calcium panthotenic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12.

Of course it was all mush since I added water.

The goats probably had 2-3 minutes of eating from the pig tub. I was then able to pull them away and get them to eat the goat feed out of my hand. Is there anything I can do right now or do I just have to wait & see?

This was totally stupid on my part ... we just brought them home on Sunday. :smack:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much did they eat? Have they had CDT vaccinations?

Give them all the hay or oak browse or something they will eat to buffer the pig feed. NO MORE GRAIN OR PELLET FEED TODAY.
I cannot say for sure how much. Whatever they managed to consume in in 2-3 minutes. I put in about 3 10 oz cups of the hog feed in the tub. The pigs ate most of it. They are bigger and faster than the goats.

I do not think they had any shots. I will have to check with the seller. I asked her before but we got talking about deworming and I cannot remember whether she ever answered about the vaccines.

They are not getting any more grain or pellets today but that is a good reminder, morning is the feeding time. They are out on pasture and have hay available too.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Chances are they will be fine. Nothing about that feed says anything scary to me. If they are used to eating a grain ration already, they're even more safe. If the piggies cleaned up most already, the amount is likely minimal as well. I don't know about your goats, but mine wouldn't readily eat let alone mow down on wet food, either, so that may have limited their intake even more.

I would do as Alice said and give them hay to fill up on, even if they have pasture, and observe them closely. Dry bulk can help here because dry feed vs wet feed, they can take in more fiber on the dry feed by weight. Also, make sure they have baking soda out.

You can get Entero even with vaccinated goats that have a sudden and DRASTIC change in diet (or that have a different type of entero than what the vaccine protects against), but it does help prevent problems.

The best and most experienced of us are often thwarted by crafty goats. Don't beat yourself up. :)

Reactions: nehimama and Pony

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone. So far they both seem fine. They are used to grain. The person we got them from feeds a lot of grain. I actually want them to get their fill on the pasture & hay and have grain only as a treat. But I bought goat grain feed to ease them into it.

The good thing is that it is rainy and they are hanging out in the barn - therefore they are eating more hay than if they were running around.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
We've all had our rookie mistakes. Heck, most of us still have them. Goats are crafty, as Dona noted.

Besides that, we're all human, and that means we make mistakes.

This is probably the nicest, gentlest forum I've seen for goats. Sure, there are days when one of us can get snarky, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Keep us updated on how your greedy goaties are doing. :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, they seemed happy and healthy when I checked on them during the day. So hopefully they just got a little bit that did not affect them. I have a plan for tomorrow morning ... we will see how that works. The piglets go nuts when I come out in the morning so I will have to distract them long enough to get the goats in their pen for feeding.

Thanks, everyone, for your input and reassurance :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
This was totally stupid on my part ... we just brought them home on Sunday. :smack:
Try not to beat yourself up. I know a few experienced goat owners who have made the same mistake - it happens regardless of the level of experience. Since they are used to grain, they should be fine. Just keep an eye on them for a day or so.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How big are the piglets? If they are small you might be able to improvise a creep area using cattle panels. Feeding them in separate areas really is best. Pigs can get nasty aggressive when they're eating

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How big are the piglets? If they are small you might be able to improvise a creep area using cattle panels. Feeding them in separate areas really is best. Pigs can get nasty aggressive when they're eating
The piglets are actually younger than the goats (3 months today). I have no idea how much they weigh right now but I am trying to add a picture to show their size relative to goats. They certainly get excited about their food but have not been aggressive towards others (at least not yet - we will have to see how it goes). Our dog is always trying to get in their bowl while they eat (I think she wants to be a pig ... lol) and there are often chickens eating from the same bowl at the same time too.

This morning I penned the goats and gave them a little bit of the goat feed. I then fed the pigs and let the goats out once the pigs were done.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts