Goats got into grain room help!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Patty0315, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

We are up to about 35 goat and they got out and got into a new bag of grain. from what I can tell they ate about 70lbs of grain. Everyone seems ok now, should i hit them with oil, pepto or something or just wait and see? Then at hay time they still wanted hay :no: :no: :no: Should I give them a bunch or not ?

2. Sondra

Sondra Guest

Make sure you have plenty of baking soda out. Give them hay and no grain. Then watch them If it were only a few goats I would give probios however since they all got into it, I would wait and see. I would also put some applecider vinegar in their water. this will help to nutralize the effects of the grain.
    Sondra Peterson

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would offer them all the grass hay they want, even going and getting new grass hay for them if your hay contains alfalfa. No grain of course. Good cured grass hay has natural bicarb in it which is going to help. IF they where mine I would give all of them probios, I keep this thing called Boat Guard around, it is a heavy oil, so you only have to give the one small container, about 8 or 12 ounces rather than the quart of oil you normally have to use. Bicarb mixed with oil works well also.

You really have two ways of going about this, if it isn't too bad, than lots of probios, lots of bicarb and lots of hay and moving them around. You are hoping that they didn't get soo much grain that it stops rumen function, than starts to ferment, the fementing grain then starts gas build up, which is gas bloat. Oiling down the grain kills the gas, but it also drowns the rumen bugs. And is overkill if they are ruminanting and not bloating.

Now rumen impaction is when there is so much grain it can not gas or move in the rumen, the doe dies with her rumen impacted, no poop, or little hard berries are your first clues. Vicki

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Vicki where do you get the (bloat guard) I am assuming is is Bloat Guard here. Does this have to be ordered???

5. Patty0315

I am soooo mad. I usually have my GSD male between the goats and the grain room. Lets put it there is no love loss. The goats would not dare try to go past him even for grain. Well don't ya know he was outside. The knocked down a fence panel and got out. I had just gone to the feed mill and got 6 or 7 100lb bags of feed. I unloaded then from my truck but my back was killing so I did not put them in the grain room just the front of the barn :mad: They are all pooping lots ! Still firm , I also just gave them more hay and soda. Thanks guys~ Patty

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Sondra,

Jeffers sells the Bloat Guard. So do all of our farm stores here.

Tracy

7. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Yeah it's Bloat Guard :eek: there is also Bloat Release and a few others, and yep Jeffers..

Yep Patty, it's so amazing to me how the goats just know when to do stuff like this. I just got my senior buck back Friday. He is such a doll, I opened the cage in the back of my truck (I LOVE this thing so much it is going to be wonderful for showing), he jumps out and just stands there while I get his collar and take him to the pen. So feeling all high and mighty I go to the girls pen and get out my two junior bucks, deciding today they need to move and live in the buckpen like big boys. Since I purchased GE as an older kid, I took him by the collar thinking if I was going to have problems with someone it would be him, and didn't even put a collar on Birdman. With GE safe in the pen, I turn around to tell Birdman to come, he had followed us like I knew he would, he takes two more steps toward me and then gives me a look which I know is trouble and takes off running. I spend the next 45 mintues walking (I know better than to run, America's Funniest Videos time), after him. After spending 10 mintues going around and around a barn with him, I go get my truck, park my truck in his way and walk him around the barn again...now he saw me put my truck there, by that time I was so ****ed I didn't even care if he was in the way, but when he went around the barn again and saw my truck he freaked so I dove for him, he got dragged by his pretty long ears back to the pen! Today when we were working on his pen fence he was all loving and rubbing on me, my husband commented on how lucky I was to have such nice bucks....................Yeah sure! Vicki

9. Patty0315

I have 1 or 2 that need treatment I think . All I have is a cow tube with bag attached is this too Big ? They are adult goats.

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

It shouldn't be too big in your adult does. I just use aquarium tubing that is attached to a 60cc syringe. A trick with the goats is to place a piece of PVC pipe in their mouth for them to chew on with their back teeth, then slip the tubing through the PVC. Using corn oil is much cheaper and since there is a taste to it you have much less chance of them aspirating the oil like you do when you use mineral oil which is tasteless. In cooperative goats you can just put the syringe in the corner of the throat and push it in slowly they will swallow. Do not pull their head up too high. Vicki

11. Patty0315

I have never had to tube a goat. I used a 60cc syringe and just gave it to them. I will pick up some tubing to have on hand. I am beat from all this extra today. I have only 1 who still looks bad but she is pooping.Thanks for the replys.