Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, either it wasn't closed all the way or someone is a houdini, either way a few of my nubians got in the feedroom last night. Didn't look like they ate much if anything except they ate a good amount of BOSS. Everyone seemed ok except for runny poop, but just got home from work and one of my does is laying down and obviously not feeling good. She is grinding teeth, stretching alot, and has very runny poop. I gave her some antibloat although she doesn't seem particularly tight or bloated, but she did have a few strange, gassy type noises. Anything else I should be doing? This is the first time I have had this problem....Thanks!!

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, i noticed two of the others also not looking so well so everyone got bloat release, plus a big pasty gob of baking soda. I also gave CD antitoxin just in case...Is there anything else I should be doing??

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think you just about covered it,
The only other thing I can think of, is you may have to give them some mineral oil, or maybe pepto, but I'm not sure of hot much, so someone else will have to chime in

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
Yes the oil will help pass the grain out the other end faster. I'm not sure how much but I think it's around a cup.

5cc of pepto will help coat the gut.

I wonder if it wouldn't help to walk them too.

Try contacting Idahoe. She had some goats get into feed not too long ago and learned some ways of treating it.

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i went out again last night and gave oil and more baking soda. This morning everyone seems alot better, still not themselves, but definitely better. I think they will be ok! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
Did you give pepto? That's important for coating the stomach to prevent damage to the lining. I think hay only is the recommended food for a while.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
This happens so much to members here.

I keep my feed in lidded 55-gallon metal drums. I can use the metal bands to hold the lid down and keep it goat-proof if needed. But they never have gotten the tops off, even without the bands.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I guess I have been very lucky.
DH is very bad at going in one door and out another in the barn and not getting doors closed behind him.
My goats have been in the feed many times and I just give them a big dose of pro bios and as much soda as they will eat and keep them off grain for a couple of days and they have been just fine.
I on the other hand have been setting wringing my hands and crying and cussing DH in the mean time.
I never knew anything else to do for them.
It has worked. WHEW!
They happen to be bloated some this am and I realize it is because I cut them a tree yesterday as our pasture is burned up and they have stripped all the trees as far as they can reach.
They were all very full this am and not all that interested in their grain.
I think the problem is that the tree is all they had except for some burned herbs and weeds. They do much better on variety, Too much of one thing is not good for them.
No it was not a cherry tree.
I think it was a locust. I did not mean to cut a locust. Apparently not a black locust as an alpaca got to it before I could run them out of there and one leaf of a black locust will kill an alpaca.
They are all just fine this am.

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
A sudden increase in new food can sometimes bloat them too.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
You did good :)

I had five does, two pregnant and three with newborns, get into the chicken scratch. They cleaned up fifty pounds, easily, by busting a gate latch. The nursing dams ate the most (had more room) and I lost two of them. It was a nightmare. But you did everything right, and I'm so glad your gals are pulling through.

And yes, ONLY dry hay, no browse, until you hear rumen sounds and you see them chewing a little cud. I had to steal cud from a healthy doe to repopulate one doe's gut. You can also gather fresh poo berries from a healthy doe, soften in water and give that orally to repopulate. It's A LOT easier on the ole fingers :D , tho sounds gross.

Glad your gals are doing better, it will take a few days, just watch for cud chewing, that's really the sign they're coming 'round.

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about your girls :( They are doing better, but still not interested in eating much (I have only offered grass hay) and haven't seen them chewing their cud at all. I will try and steal some tomorrow if they still seem off. Thanks for the advice...and yeah, the poo thing sounds pretty gross, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Back in the day, (Nursing in the Sixties), it was not unknown to find a healthy human fecal donor to repopulate the gut of a human patient by means of an enema solution...gads, just think of the liability issues if that were done today! Anywayyy, would that route work as well in goaties?
Marci in Nor California

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
I would give them a dose of probiotics and pepto each day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.