Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have about 1 mile of fence line that we need to clear 5 feet of on one side. It is a neighbors fence and he is taking care of his side but wants us to clear 5 feet on our side. His main issue is with multiflora rose. We have tried to eradicate with no luck. We are considering getting a few goats to help clear the fence. We would like to set something up so that we are moving the goats every few days down the line. Wondering about portable fences for goats and if anyone has any suggestions. It is mostly in the woods far away from electricity and we can't use our neighbors existing fence to help keep the goats in. Would we need a portble shelter too? We have never had goats. Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't have a mile to clear, but I have 4 panels with the smaller gaps that I have wired together and have 5 small kids in it. Every couple days I move it down. They demolish every weed (including multiflora rose).

For a shelter I framed up a 4'x4' square by 2' tall box with some 2"x4"s and some plywood and left one end open.

Best fence cleaner in the world, and I can make a little money on my weedeaters.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a mile to clear, but I have 4 panels with the smaller gaps that I have wired together and have 5 small kids in it. Every couple days I move it down. They demolish every weed (including multiflora rose).

For a shelter I framed up a 4'x4' square by 2' tall box with some 2"x4"s and some plywood and left one end open.

Best fence cleaner in the world, and I can make a little money on my weedeaters.
That is exactly what we are trying to do. How big are your fence panels? We have a few 8 foot "dog gate" fence panels that we are thinking about using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with a brush hog is we have trees along the fence as well that we want to keep. We like the idea of a more natural way with goats, maintaining the rose and keeping it down.

I think you should pay someone to mow it for you if you don't have your own bush hog. Goats aren't going to do what it takes in a reasonable amount of time and the logistics involved would be a nightmare.

Mow it several times each year, and immediately spray with Roundup and in a couple of years it should be gone.
https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/multiflora-rose-control

·
78,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Tordon or Roundup. I wouldn't try to rid my property of one invasive species with another invasive species.....Oh, did I tell you I hate goats?......:)

Welcome to the forum.....

geo

·
Banned
17,258 Posts
You might be able to do what you want with a really good electric fence.
I'd mark the trees I wanted to keep then run a bush hog or dozer down it. After a bush hog it would be a lot easier to run a electric fence that would hold in the goats.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have 16 foot panels.

If your goats are trained to electric fence you could do as Americanstand said and make a fence with electric and give them a strip to go up and down the existing fence.

·
78,895 Posts
If your goats are trained to electric fence you could do as Americanstand said and make a fence with electric
You might be able to do what you want with a really good electric fence.
From the OP:
It is mostly in the woods far away from electricity
It's hard to maintain an electric fence in the woods without checking on it daily.
If there's no electricity, there's probably no water either.
And we know there's no shelter.

It sounds like an awful lot of work and expense to do a job that could be done in an hour or two with a mower.

Reactions: Whoo

·
Registered
345 Posts
Do you know if the goats will even eat the plants you want them to? They can be kinda picky. Also if there are any dogs running loose, or coyotes, they will kill your goats. And you say you want to keep certain trees... goats love trees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts