Goats Fighting????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Sep 19, 2005.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I have had these goats together since March. Nothing has changed in their pen. I have 5 does and 2 bucks together. They have been in harmony for quite sometime. Now yesterday, my one LaMancha and my Nubian doe started the head butting thing...no big deal....until they wouldn't stop, my other LaMancha, the herd queen got in on it and both LaManchas were after my Nubian. Next thing I know, Frosty(the first LaMancha) starts biting and pulling Gabby's (nubian) ears! She made the ear bleed and at that point I took Gabby out into another pen for about 3 hours. I gave everyone some feed, put Gabby back in and within 5 minutes they were at it again! And after a little while, Frosty was back at Gabby's ears. This time I took the problem goat(I could get gabby to leave frosty alone but not the other way around)Frosty out and she still is this morning. What the heck is going on???? They have all been in heat before and don't think that is the problem. I'd let them work it out if Frosty could stop biting Gabby's ears but I can't have her pulling her ears off!!!

Any ideas????

Thanks,
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Oh I'm so sorry, we have a female, the mutt goats herd doe, that just pure hates everyonethat did not come from her womb. She bites the babies ears, through the fence because the babies stick their heads into the old girls pen, beats any other females, she is fine with the males. She even took on our very large female Boer goat, the Boers herd queen, through the fence once again. Hope you solve your problem soon, maybe Frosty is in heat or has she just had a baby, I heard that the females get a lot meaner then, ours has always just been plain mean.

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Ours always butt heads and challenge each other when we have a cool morning after a period of hot weather. Generally it is just them enjoying being goats.

We do have the occasional ear nipping when "The Enforcer" (Sandy) decides that someone is not obey the queen (Her Royal Majesty Princess Cocoa) as they should. Sandy is Cocoa's sister and has always had the job of making sure the herd rules are obeyed.

Sandy usually only ear nips if one of the Whether Brothers is truly sassing an elder, or if she is a bit cranky with PMS. Naturally, in the cool mornings the WBs are sassier so we'll see more show off displays, thunkings, and the ear nips at this time.

In our herd, it passes pretty quickly and nobody holds grudges. We have never seen malicious attacks, but we do see some serious rule enforcement directed toward any goat that acts in a way that is not in keeping with his/her designated herd role.

One other thing -ours all run together. If we had them in separate pens, even for a short time, I would expect it to increase their need to reassert dominance and thunk or nip each other until herd roles are agreed to.

Lynda

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm having a similar problem and will be watching this thread for answers. I have 5 goats. Three are related and 2 are outsiders. Both outsiders have been with us for more than a year and though they were always losest on the totem pole, they were never attacked. I had the goats (all does by the way) in the 10x10 dog pen in the yard eating the overgrown areas of the yard. Th dog starts barking like crazy and all 3 of my evil goats were attacking Ivy. They were butting her so hard she was flying mid air into the fence. I went in and stopped it, but as soon as I walked back out, they started again. I had to sit in the pen to keep them off of her. Once I put them back in the fenced pen, they started again and I had to tie up the herd queen and princess. Now Ivy tries to stay between Daisy (the other outsider) and the fence. I hate to see her living in fear. I think they would have killed her if I hadn't intervened.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We always try to keep the goats that do not know how to get along in a seperate pen, with the goats that they do not mind. The only one that has that nasty attitude is as I said the mutt goats herd queen, so she just stays with her two sons, her daughter had to be removed becuase she is too young to breed and both the boys are REALLY "Boys". Other than that our goats are simply divided into two other herds, three altogether, there is the Boer herd, Clara's herd, and then Toria's herd which consists of Toria and her two daughters.

6. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I kept Frosty seperated overnight and re-intorduced her in the morning after her milking. Gabby and Frosty rubbed against each other a little bit and then everything was fine and has been fine since. I have seen the ocasional "head butting for herd order" before and this was definately different. It was just some hormonal thing I think. Anyway, all is back to normal and that is all that matters to me!!

Thanks for the advice,
    Tracy